Bananas Foster
  Re: (...)
I've seen Bananas Foster prepared several times on the Food Network and it looks like something I'd like to try. CAH recipe looks simple, but I have a couple of questions. I have a ceramic top stove, so I can't ignite the rum with a gas flame. 1). Will a long match work, or would I need a blowtorch? 2). Is it best to use a ns skillet to avoid sticking, or should I go with a ss because of the flaming? 3). Does it taste as good without flaming? TIA
  Re: Bananas Foster by Ron (I've seen Bananas Fo...)
Ron, to tell you the truth, I've never made this. But this is what I think---

I don't know why a match wouldn't work.
I wouldn't use any coated pan, my choice would be SS
I don't think so. (Does it taste as good without flaming?)

Of course, I've never made this, just my thoughts!

PJ
PJ
Hi Ron,
We make the C@H recipe for Bananas Foster pretty often and serve it over vanilla ice cream. We've done it with the match and skipped it sometimes too. We think it tastes really good either way. It's a yummy treat.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
I've made bananas Foster a few times, I think my biggest concern would be your cooktop. Are you supposed to shake a pan on the surface? You should keept the pan in motion while the ingredients are flaming.

I've never made it on anything other than gas, but I'd get a long match if that's what you will use.

good luck.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bananas Foster by cjs (I've made bananas Fo...)
Hmmm, I hadn't considered the pan shaking aspect. I think I'll try the flame version without shaking, and if that doesn't work I'll revert to the non-flamed version. I bought the dark rum yesterday but forgot the bananas, so it'll be next week before I can try it.
  Re: Re: Bananas Foster by Ron (Hmmm, I hadn't consi...)
I love Bananas' Foster. Don't forget to buy bananas that still need a little ripening.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Bananas Foster by pjcooks (Ron, to tell you the...)
Ron, I have made this wonderful dessert on MANY occasions.

Yes a long match will work for flaming, I use the stainless steel pan and I also have a ceran top stove---shaking the pan is NO problem as long as you don't put pressure on the pan--

You're gonna love this recipe--and soooo easy. Always a nice way to "impress" guests when they see the flaming step!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy