Today's Comfort Food
  Re: (...)
The house is way too quiet and lonely, so to make me feel better,this is in the oven.

Gratin of Hard Cooked Eggs.

2 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 cups milk
Pinch each S, P, freshly ground nutmeg (season generously)
1 1/4 cups grated Gruyere
6 hard boiled eggs
4 green onions
1 1/4 cups frozen peas
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs

Make a white sauce with the first 4 things, take off heat, and add one cup of the cheese, stirring until melted.

Halve the eggs lengthwise, chop onions into pea size pieces. Place eggs, cut side up in buttered 6 cup casserole. Sprinkle peas and onions over top of eggs. Pour sauce over top, sprinkle with bread crumbs and remaining cheese. ( I mixed them in the cuininart with some fresh parsley and thyme).
Bake in preheated 450 oven until browned and heated, app 25 to 30 minutes.

I've got some cranberry pistachio bread, some semolina raisin, and some really great dark pumpernickel with caraway seeds.

And that, hopefully, will put a smile on my face.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Today's Comfort Food by Lorraine (The house is way too...)
Today is definately a good day for comfort food. It's still unseasonably warm here in Ohio, so instead of snow, we are having a lot of rain and it's just plain gloomy.

I made beef barley soup. Just used the recipe on the box, it's always good, although I do add some red chilis to "warm it up a bit" and I like to use stew beef in it instead of ground. Still on the bread baking kick, so we have a baguette fresh from the oven to go with.

Your recipe sounds yummy to me. I've copied it to MC and will try it soon, very soon! Thanks Lorraine.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Today's Comfort Food by Mare749 (Today is definately ...)
Easy comfort food here today, too. Meatloaf, mashed potatos and gravy. I'm not sure of the veggie yet.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Today's Comfort Food by Half_Baked (Easy comfort food he...)
Billys corned beef with colcannon. For the tiniest of us, coddled eggs, mixed into well buttered and cubed good bread with s&p. My children, when they were just bubbies loved skinned seeded and finely chopped tomato, tiny cut up ham, sieved spinach and an egg, all stirred up with a toothpick and cooked in the coddler.
  Re: Re: Today's Comfort Food by vannin (Billys corned beef w...)
Many thanks for your recipe Lorraine, I will make that. It would be good on a buffet too, for those that think they want to eat 'plain'.
So, the holiday ends, eh?? I bet the house does sound 'empty'. Lorraine, your egg dish would be putting a smile on anyone's face, I think.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Lorraine, that does sound good. For me today (warmish here in NH too, although it's soon to end) it's Applebee's nachos, a Blue Moon wheat ale and the Pat's game.

Well, comfort food for Patriots fans, anyways!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Today's Comfort Food by pjcooks (Lorraine, that does ...)
Bumping this up for those in need of comfort food!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Today's Comfort Food by Mare749 (Bumping this up for ...)
Y'all are so nice, I'm glad I can call you my friends!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Today's Comfort Food by bjcotton (Y'all are so nice, I...)
It is hot here at the moment, and somewhat overcast, definately a day for those outside to be wary of sunburn. It is silly, but it almost makes me want autumn, and the big pots of soups, so easy to make. Piles of buttery thick toast, and dressing gowns. It will be, however, a little filet of beef and salad.