What kind of instant read thermometer do you have?
  Re: (...)
Mine absolutely stinks! And it was suppose to be pretty good. The kids bought it from Williams-Sonoma a few years ago and we don't like it at all. Very confusing and makes no sense like it's defective or something. May have gotten damaged somewhere along the line now that I'm thinking about it. Anyway, I want one that is quick, simple, and reliable. Any recommends?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: What kind of instant read thermometer do you have? by Mare749 (Mine absolutely stin...)
A Thermopen---the best!!! Accurate and easy---a bit pricey but well worth it. I bought mine through Bakers Catalogue upon recommendation by Cooks Illustrated.

You won't be sorry!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: What kind of instant read thermometer do you have? by Mare749 (Mine absolutely stin...)
Maryann, do you calibrate the thermometer periodically?? Banging around in a drawer (or holder) can distort them quickly.

I don't think mine even have a brand name on them - I just pick them up at Smart & Final. Work great.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What kind of instant read thermometer do you have? by cjs (Maryann, do you cali...)
I also have a Thermapen. It is expensive, but excellent. I just checked it a few days ago - in ice water and boiling water - and it was still right on the money.
  Re: Re: What kind of instant read thermometer do you have? by cjs (Maryann, do you cali...)
No, Jean, I don't. Maybe that's the problem. Thanks.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What kind of instant read thermometer do you have? by Mare749 (No, Jean, I don't. ...)
I have a digital one that is not adjustable and I haven't checked it lately [read never], the other one is new [still in the package], it's a Pyrex brand and is adjustable.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy