Bananas Foster results...
  Re: (...)
I couldn't wait to try the Bananas Foster so I drove into town and picked up the bananas and some long matches. The match did ignite the rum, but it was a small glow, not a dramatic flame. I tried it a second time with a bit more rum and a butane fireplace igniter ($3.95) I bought in case the matches didn't work, I got a slightly better flame, but still nothing to write home about. It did taste okay both times tho.
  Re: Bananas Foster results... by Ron (I couldn't wait to t...)
Oh, that's a shame it was only 'ok'. I have always enjoyed them immensely and have even served them for breakfast, over French toast.

Perhaps someone can share a really good tried and true recipe. I believe I originally got mine out of a Bon Appetit but I've used many recipes from all different sources. I have no idea where they've come from.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Bananas Foster results... by Half_Baked (Oh, that's a shame i...)
Ron, you may have let the alcohol cook a little too long so that it evaporated--that's why the no big flame show.

Just remembered you said you used rum---I use a combination brandy and banana liquer. Shouldn't make a difference though.

I will post a recipe from a Cajun cookbook that is spectacularly easy and no fail---tomorrow.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
We always had the opposite problem, our chef/instructor said he would deduct points if we made our flames more that 2' high... I have a pix around here somewhere.....

The proof of the alcohol might have something to do with it?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bananas Foster results... by cjs (We always had the op...)
I trust the pan was hot enough because the butter/brown sugar was bubbling nicely. Alcohol was 40%, but I don't think the match or the butane lighter was hot enough to provide the major pyrotechnics I was hoping for. If I ever break down and buy a creme brule torch I'll try it again.
  Re: Re: Bananas Foster results... by Ron (I trust the pan was ...)
BANANAS FOSTER

3 TBS butter
3 TBS brown sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
2 bananas, cut in half, then sliced lengthwise
3 TBS brandy
3 TBS banana-flavored liquer
Vanilla ice cream to serve

Spoon ice cream into dishes ahead of time.

In a skillet, melt the butter. Stir in the brown sugar and cinnamon, then add the bananas and sauté for 1 ½ minutes.

Add the liquers and allow to heat for a moment—too short and it won’t flame, too long and the alcohol will evaporate.

Flame with a long match. With a long handled spoon, spoon the flaming syrup over the bananas until the flame goes out.

Put the bananas on top of ice cream, and spoon some of the syrup over the top. Serve immediately.

Serves 2

Quick and easy, this is a classic New Orleans dessert with a Caribbean flavor. If you double the recipe, use a large skillet so you can flambé all of the bananas at once; the liquer does not flame as well the second time. For safety reasons, you’ll need a long fireplace-type match (I use a regular match, no problem) and a long handled spoon (I use a regular length wooden spoon, no problem).

Cajun Cooking
Succulent Recipes from Louisiana
By Marjie Lambert

This is my favorite recipe, Ron. Sorry it took so long to post---those technical gremlins were at it again---
Here's the original recipe from Brennan's in New Orleans where it was invented:

http://www.cooksrecipes.com/dessert/bren...ecipe.html
  Re: Re: Bananas Foster results... by p23brian (Here's the original ...)
The recipe from Brennan's is the one I used tonight. What fun this is! My daughter and I got everything ready, then asked DH to flame it up for us. (He was being all skeptical about this whole thing) I wish I'd had my camera ready so I could show you all the sheer delight on his face as it was flaming, quite nicely as a matter of fact. He was hooked. We all were actually. This is just delicious! I kept thinking how good this would be on pancakes tomorrow morning.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Bananas Foster results... by Mare749 (The recipe from Bren...)
WELCOME to you p23brian--stop in more often. This is the same recipe--almost--that I use. The only difference was I use brandy instead of rum---you want to see a flame?? WOW!!! I believe that this was the Brennan's version with a twist for the author.
  Re: Re: Bananas Foster results... by Roxanne 21 (WELCOME to you p23br...)
Mine tasted fine, it just didn't flame that much. Next time I'm going to try a slightly hotter pan and a bit more rum.