Chicken Pho Dinner Review
  Re: (...)
Now this is a tasty dish - pretty too!!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/cjd...PhoTwo.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/cjd...hixPho.jpg

The broth is just a wonderful flavor - I've never charred cinnamon nor ginger, but I'll sure do it often now!

And the overall combination - great!

In addition to the Pho, we had
stir fried Bok Choy
Nuoc Cham
Red Bean Buns - I wasn't sure how to finish them, so steamed half and baked half. Love them both ways!!

Anxious to hear what others thot of this.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Chicken Pho Dinner Review by cjs (Now this is a tasty ...)
I'm hesitant to post a negative review but this just did not turn out for us. Maybe I had to make a few too many substitutions. I'm going to try it again tho' this time as Tom Phó.
Jean, yours look so very pretty and the nice bowls and plates too.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Chicken Pho Dinner Review by farnfam (I'm hesitant to post...)
Mine is simmering in the pot right now, so my review won't be until later tonight. Sure smells good though. Since I'm new at this, I'm making it exactly to the recipe, but next time I would like to make it with seafood, as that is how I usually order it.

Jean, your presentation is beautiful.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Chicken Pho Dinner Review by Mare749 (Mine is simmering in...)
"Since I'm new at this, I'm making it exactly to the recipe, but" - me too, for the dinner reviews I don't think we can give a fair assessment without following as closely as possible. Then, it's time to play with it.

cis, I can never get out of an Asian store (or dept.) without a plate, bowl or platter of some kind....they are so pretty!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chicken Pho Dinner Review by cjs ("Since I'm new at th...)
You're right Jean, that's why I'm going to do it over. This time I'm taking the mag to the Asian store (on our next trip for major shopping that is) and I'm getting everything it says to get. Suggestions for a nice strong fish broth would be much appreciated as I'd rather spend the money on a Tom Pho version.
Couldn't find fish sauce locally and used anchovy paste (don't know how I found that, there was just the one jar in a dusty corner of a shelf) instead and that is what ruined it I think she confesses embarassedly. Next time, to the Asian market first with a complete list!! And Jean, I envy your lovely Oriental china and stuff, it's so nice for a perfect presentation. Thanks for sharing those pix
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Chicken Pho Dinner Review by farnfam (You're right Jean, t...)
This is a delicious, light meal! The broth has a wonderful flavor and it is absolutely necessary to have everything you need to make this properly. When you sprinkle the cilantro and mint leaves on the top, the aroma is just amazing. Do try this dish if you haven't already!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Chicken Pho Dinner Review by Mare749 (This is a delicious,...)
Roy doesn't often ask this, but he wants to know if we can have this again....soon!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chicken Pho Dinner Review by cjs (Roy doesn't often as...)
I AM SOOOOOO ANGRY!!!!! I have tried to post my review for TWO days and it seems to get lost out there somewhere---I am able to post really short messages but for some reason my downloading off the forum is incredibly slow. I will try again---after I calm down.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Chicken Pho Dinner Review by Roxanne 21 (I AM SOOOOOO ANGRY!!...)
I didn’t have a chance to post my review on this dinner yesterday, sort of got sidelined.

Anyway, there were several firsts in this recipe, not the least of which was the recipe itself. I have not made a Vietnamese specific dish before and when reading through the recipe, I was a bit reluctant but, then again, I have been on previous occasions.

I also do not have the issue yet—soooo I was working on something that I had no clue on how this was supposed to turn out---BUT I was game anyway.

DH’s response when he heard the recipe was EEUUUWWW!!!!

Because of our love for Asian foods, I have virtually every ingredient under the sun and then some. The only thing missing was the fresh bean sprouts—easy to find here.

I had made a chicken stock last week and used that for the broth---(DUH!!) The charring of the spices was a first also---nice flavors as a result as well as the aromas. Everything else was pretty straight forward. I have had a package of the vermicelli in the pantry for a very long time and finally decided to use them---I think I like rice vermicelli (smile).
In place of the cilantro, I used fresh parsley—not crazy about cilantro and it worked beautifully with the mint—you’re right Maryann, the aromas when those hit the mixture—has to be experienced.

The chicken was very tender as well—this dish has whetted my desire to learn more about Vietnamese dishes---off to the bookstore!!!

Okay---so the final product was not too far off from Jean’s presentation---which is absolutely lovely. I’m inspired to purchase some ‘proper’ serving dishes for Asian delights---THANKS, GRAND POOH-BAH!!!!! Another item on my many lists of “things to get”---UGH!!!

I served with our favorite dinner rolls but would love to have Jean’s recipe for the red bean rolls (??)---those look incredibly good!!!

DH’s response--- “YUMMM!!!!”
We will give this a 7 out of 10--- and will definitely do again.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Chicken Pho Dinner Review by Roxanne 21 (I AM SOOOOOO ANGRY!!...)
I was unable to participate with everything going on. The family turned up their collective noses at the fish sauce I'd gotten.

I discovered they'd opened an Asian market in the little town next to Meatball. I'll have to visit it and see what's what. They had one in Roseburg, for a while. You'd go to the store when it was "supposed" to be open and likely as not it would be closed...no wonder it went out of business.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy