Bresaola!!!
  Re: (...)
While we were in Seattle last week, I found (and of course bot!!) some Bresaola.

A couple of years ago at a Chef Scholarship fund raiser dinner, Lorraine and I made a course together and it was a layered Bresaola Salad -

Bresaola Layered with 3-Peppercorn Chevre and Huckleberry Puree

It was so delicious. but, I didn't want to go to all the trouble last nite for an hors for just the two of us, so just did this and it turned out wonderful!1

The major components of this dish are - bresaola (an air-dried salted beef fillet, aged about 2 months. Absolutely delicious), a mixture of 3-peppercorn (or just peppercorn will do) and mascarpone (1/2 and 1/2, or till spreadable), and a huckleberry puree (which was very involved, but really good)

playing #1 - layered individual slices of bresaola with the cheese/mascarpone, drizzled a mixture of huckleberry jam & tawny port over and topped with micro-greens tossed with E.V. olive oil and lemon juice. Rolled those up. This was tasty, but the bresaola was not sturdy enuf for this treatment.

play #2 - toasted thin slices of 18-hour bread and while still warm, spread with a little cheese mixture, layered a couple slices of bresaolo, little more cheese spread on top, drizzle with the huckleberry sauce and topped with julienned slices of the greens. NOW THAT WAS GOOD! and it held up, warmed up the cheese just a little. Oh my how tasty it was.

Of course we ruined out dinners, but what a way to go.
We had fun with this, didn't we Lorraine?

That same year, Billy and I did another course together - that was sure a fun time.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Bresaola!!! by cjs (While we were in Sea...)
Oh my, that would BE my dinner! That sounds YUMMY!

One question though, how do you get thin slices of 18 hour bread? Maybe I just need a better bread knife?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Bresaola!!! by Mare749 (Oh my, that would BE...)
I cut them ~ 3/8" with an off-set serrated knife.

Oh maryann, this is such a nice combination of flavors!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bresaola!!! by cjs (I cut them ~ 3/8" wi...)
That does sound really tasty and what a beautiful mix of flavors!!! What could one replace the beef that you mentioned with---I can't get my hands on that particular type but sure would enjoy something similar!! Maybe something I could re-create in the kitchen?? again!!!

Maryann---how about an electric knife---those are great for really thin slices of bread--I bet it would work beautifully!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Bresaola!!! by Roxanne 21 (That does sound real...)
Thanks Roxanne, I'm glad you mentioned that. Actually, I do have one and a bread slicing thingy for cutting even slices either 1/2" or 1" thick. Now.....where did I put that?

Jean, I have never bought Bresaola, but can probably find it at the West Side Market. For the huckleberry sauce, did you melt jam and add some tawny port?

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Bresaola!!! by Mare749 (Thanks Roxanne, I'm ...)
maryann - I was in such a hurry, I just added dribbles of the port to cold huckleberry jam till it could be 'dropped' on. But, when you have more time, here's the recipe I used - it's for 50, but it will give you an idea of the method.

* Exported from MasterCook *

BRESAOLA LAYERED WITH 3-PEPPERCORN CHÈVRE AND HUCKLEBERRY PUREÉ

Recipe By :Chef Lorraine Morrison and Chef Jean Denham, CC
Serving Size : 50
HUCKLEBERRY (OR BLUEBERRY) PUREE: (makes more than you need - try on salmon, waflles, ice cream, etc.)
24 ozs huckleberries (or frozen blueberries)
2 tbsps shallots, sliced
2 c tawny port
4 tbsps currant jelly
1/2 c red wine vinegar
32 ozs Blueberry jam (or huckleberry if you can find)
FOR LAYERING THE DISH:
10 lbs prosciutto (or Bresaola)
---------------
3 1/2 lbs. (6 cups) 3-Peppercorn Chèvre, softened
3 1/2 llbs. (6 cups) mascarpone chese
---------
2 1/2 lbs micro-greens
Olive oil & Lemon juice to taste

A note on the Blueberry Puree - When I concocted this recipe, I used these amounts because they were easier to work with, but you don't need all of this for the dish. I'm using my extra on everything pancakes, waffles, maybe even on some salmon.... and I don't see why it wouldn't freeze. Anyway, I'm just too lazy to break it down any further!

TO MAKE THE PURÈE:
In a med. pot, combine all the ingredients except the blueberry jam.
Mix well, cover with foil & place in a 325° oven for approximately 1 1/2 hours, till liquid is reduced by about 1/2.
Remove from oven, let cool a few minutes; puree in food processor till chunky texture is achieved.
You don't want a real smooth consistency.
Remove from processor and allow to cool in frig an hour (or up to overnite) or so.

HUCKLEBERRY LAYER:
Mix in enuf of the blueberry jam to the puree for a spreadable consistency (without it running over the cheese)
Set aside or keep in fridge till ready to use.

CHEESE LAYER:
Combine the Chèvre and mascarpone to a spreadable consistency.
Set aside at room temp.

GREENS GARNISH:
Place greens in a bowl large enuf to toss; add enuf olive oil to coat the greens lightly.
Sprinkle lemon juice over the greens and taste till the right amount has been added.
Set aside.

PLATING:
Cover the bottom of a salad-size plate with the bresaola.
Spread 2-3 T. of the cheese mixture over the meat, indenting a little so you can still see the meat.
Spread the huckleberry pureé over the cheese, again indenting so you see the colors.

Place one small handful of greens on top of the pureé layer, mounding the greens so they are within the circle of pureé.
Sprinkle the plate with freshly ground pepper and serve.

NOTES : Sliced Bresaola (or prosciutto) rubbed with 3-Peppercorn Chèvre followed with a layer of Huckleberry Pureé, and garnished with micro-greens. For a light and intense flavor experience, try to taste a little of each layer with every bite.

---

by the way, you'll find a million uses for the sauce - it really is good on waffles and pancakes and ice cream!! And, it freezes well also.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bresaola!!! by cjs (maryann - I was in s...)
Thank you Jean, I copied your recipe. I'm going to make the whole batch of sauce just like you do, I can always share some although I may not want to! My brother usually visits after the holidays as he hates to travel during or on a holiday. I know he will love this! I'll try to get the Bresaola, but if not, at least I know proscuitto will work too. And as for the 18 hour bread.......that's been a staple around here lately!

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Bresaola!!! by Mare749 (Thank you Jean, I co...)
Jean. this was such an incredible dish! I still make it, albeit I do sometimes have to sub prosciutto, and blueberries for the huckleberries, but no one has complained so far!!! I had them cut the prosciutto just a bit thicker one time, and did the whole thing as roll ups, including the salad. It was for a pool party, and it worked out great!!! They devoured it!

That really was a great time. I have pics of us int he kitchen, but not doing that dish. Maybe Billy does?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.