McNaughts Comet
  Re: (...)
Okay--I know this is off topic but I just had to share this once in a lifetime experience. I was walking through our dining room, which faces toward the Atlantic Ocean, right about 8:45 p.m.---dusk to nighttime here in the southern hemisphere. I have been hearing a bit about this comet that could be viewed in our skies on the radio talk programs throughout the week. I NEVER see these events that everybody else seems to witness....

Yup---there she was---what an incredible sight. I went to google a site for your possible interest but nothing there was even remotely close to the real deal. It was the size of a very large star and the tail was very long. It did not seem to be moving that fast but when I saw it it was on the horizon---otherwise I could have had DH snap an image--sorry I missed that opportunity. Science and astronomy fascinate me.......as I ramble, sorry!!!

And last night I saw THREE shooting stars---guess what the wishes were---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: McNaughts Comet by Roxanne 21 (Okay--I know this is...)
Uh, let's see, 1. a trip to New Zealand 2. a trip to visit me and 3. to sell your home...did I guess right?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: McNaughts Comet by Roxanne 21 (Okay--I know this is...)
We were out the other nite when it was nice and clear looking for it, but never did - one of our neighbors did tho. darn, I'd have loved to also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: McNaughts Comet by cjs (We were out the othe...)
What a wonderful experience! How long did your display last?
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: McNaughts Comet by bjcotton (Uh, let's see, 1. a ...)
Close---REAL close!!!

I'm not sure how long it can be viewed---I saw it at the end of the run BUT if it's not overcast and raining tonight I will be able to see again and will convince DH that I need an image to post to my family----fingers crossed!!!
  Re: Re: McNaughts Comet by Roxanne 21 (Close---REAL close!!...)
Wow!!! I don't think I've ever seen a comet! Pics would be great!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: McNaughts Comet by Lorraine (Wow!!! I don't think...)
I have been comet watching the last two evenings and Roxanne is right....it is an amazing sight! Even more amazing is the fact that the core is only 10 km across, but the tail is 100 million kilometres long!!!! Just hard to understand really, well for me anyway.It travels at around 100 kms a second so that is 36,000 kilometres an hour. Gee.
  Re: Re: McNaughts Comet by Lyndee (I have been comet wa...)
We are in major pea soup conditions----immense fog bank---I'm really disappointed that we couldn't follow through with pics---will look again tomorrow night---I'm not sure how long this is supposed to be observable (is that a word??).

Lyndee--thanks for the info---didn't know all of that!!!
  Re: Re: McNaughts Comet by Roxanne 21 (We are in major pea ...)
I would hate '10kms across' to land in the deck chair next to me. It would quite spoil the evening.
  Re: Re: McNaughts Comet by Roxanne 21 (We are in major pea ...)
"We are in major pea soup conditions"

Same here, so I doubt I'd be able to see it.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.