What not to use in cast iron pans?
  Re: (...)
I know not to cook tomatos in them but what else?

Also if the pan is pre-seasoned, do you recommemd seasoning it anyway?

If there is a cooking accident and something sticks, do you soak it or use one of those metal square cleaners on it? Or I guess I could add water and deglaze it instead of either of those.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: What not to use in cast iron pans? by Half_Baked (I know not to cook t...)
Anything acidic is a no-no!!!

I would definitely preseason---can't hurt!!!

I would soak--not scrub--will take off that seasoned layer--but then you can always season again!!! Soaking works well!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: What not to use in cast iron pans? by Roxanne 21 (Anything acidic is a...)
Jan, I would season them again anyway, then try not to use soap on them at all. I know that doesn't sound sanitary, but your instructions will tell you that also.

Soaking for a little bit helps, I usually just add some hot water to the pan right while it's on the stove, but if you have a particularly tough spot, try rubbing it with kosher salt and a damp cloth, rinse, dry well, and rub with a little oil.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What not to use in cast iron pans? by Mare749 (Jan, I would season ...)
I always scrub mine down with rock salt and reseason again.

Never soap. If things stick to the bottom don't worry, boil a bit water in the bottom (or left over stock) dump it out and put about 1/4 -1/2 cup of rock salt and scrub with a towel.

I've done everything in mine (no tomato based products of course) from sticky apple tarte tatin to searing meats and doing mire pox. I have yet to have anything stick that didn't come out easy.

You are going LOVE cast iron. I love doing fish that has the skin left on because it crisps it up so beautifully.
  Re: Re: What not to use in cast iron pans? by DFen911 (I always scrub mine ...)
I have a "pre-seasoned" Lodge which I DIDN'T reseason and hamburgers stuck fast to it. I had to really scrub it and then season before I could use it.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: What not to use in cast iron pans? by DFen911 (I always scrub mine ...)
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by no tomato products. I've read you don't do tomatoes that you plan to can in aluminum pots cause the acid will discolor the final product. Do you mean the same for cast iron? I have my grandma's and I cook tomato dishes of every kind in it, and often. There's never been a single problem.
Cis
  Re: Re: What not to use in cast iron pans? by Roxanne 21 (Anything acidic is a...)
Quote:

Anything acidic is a no-no!!!

I had always heard this too.

I didn't know 'no soap'. That's probably how I messed up my mother's and got so frustrated that I gave them to Goodwill about 30 yrs ago.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: What not to use in cast iron pans? by Half_Baked ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Don't worry about that Jan, I bet my boots someone swooped and they are still on active duty in a warm and scented kitchen somewhere. Feeding the generations. I have a smallish commercial hotplate, couple of feet long and about a foot deep. I clean it by a bit of a scrap down with a plasters spreader, get the obvious off, then pour boiling water over it while it is at full heat. Scrape all the residue off, and polish it with oil. It is just a very big pan, and I know the hot spots and cooler cooking spots so you can do everything at once if you want. It has done decades of service for our family, and I do heartily recommend anyone with a growing family to bite the bullet and invest in one. Ours is a Roband, which I think is an American brand, and has the toaster underneath. They are expensive, and in my last house I had the bench dropped to size beside my cooker, here it just sits on a table, still lower than a bench.But not as low as I would like it. Our deep fryer is commercial too, and has worked as hard as the flat top over the years. That is a Roband too. Both have saved me more work than I could begin to imagine. Everything is fine, until the kids start bring their friends home. Then it is all on. Take pity on yourselves dear mothers, Erin, Angela et al. Go commercial. By the way, tomatoes are just fine on it, you can't make a sauce on it without considerable and unworthwhile trouble.
  Re: Re: What not to use in cast iron pans? by vannin (Don't worry about th...)
Cis, I have a 5 qt. cast iron dutch oven that I have been using for 33 years for everything under the sun including chili, spaghetti sauce, soups, stews, you name it. I've never had a problem either, but I understand the acid in tomatoes takes off the seasoning. Mine must be on there like concrete.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What not to use in cast iron pans? by Mare749 (Cis, I have a 5 qt. ...)
Hahahaha Maryanne , I love it, just love it. A favourite pan is a wonderful thing.