Meringue Clouds--Review
  Re: (...)
Issue 27 Page 44

I was looking for a light fresh berry dessert the other night and tried this one----NICE!!!

I made one from a later issue before and this one is similar sooo---if you want something with a sping flare--this should be in your sights!!!

MERINGUE CLOUDS WITH FRESH BERRIES

To make meringue clouds, preheat oven to 200 degrees. Trace six 3"circles on parchment paper, spacing them at least 3"apart. Flip the paper over and place on a baking sheet. Prepare the meringue as on Page 37---recipe follows------and measure out 1/2 cup meringue in each circle. Use the back of a spoon to make cloud shapes out of the meringue, creating a crater in the center of each. Keep at least 2" of space between each cloud---they spread as they bake. Bake 1 1/2 hours; turn off oven and let clouds cool inside, 2 hours.

For the sauce, puree 1 cup sliced strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, and rum in food processor untl smooth; strain through a fine-mesh strainer. Mix quartered strawberries and blueberries with sauce (add raspberries last so they don't break up).

For the strawberry sauce--

Puree and strain:
1 cup fresh strawberries hulled and sliced
2 TBS sugar
1 TBS fresh lemon juice
1 TBS light rum (optional)
For the berry filling--
Toss with strawberry sauce:
3 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup fresh raspberries

Garnish with:
Powdered sugar
Mint leaves

Meringues

Makes enough for 4-6 desserts

Work time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 1 1/2 hours

WHIP:
4 egg whites, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp table salt

Sprinkle in 1 TBS at a time:
1 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Place egg whites, vanilla extract, cream of tartar and salt in a large stainless steel bowl. (I used a pyrex bowl). Begin whipping with an electric mixer set on medium speed.

Whip until soft peaks form, about six minutes (this could vary depending upon the power of your mixer---mine took about 1 minute!!!). You have soft peaks when a spoonful of whites makes a peak that stands up but isn't stiff.

Increase speed to medium high and begin adding sugar 1 TBS at a time; beat 20-30 seconds between additions to dissolve. It takes 9 minutes to blend in sugar and achieve stiff, glossy peaks. (I spent about 3 minutes total--start to finish!!!)

See if the sugar has dissolved adequately by rubbing a small amount between your fingers. A few grains are okay, but if there is a lot, beat whites about 30 seconds more. Avoid overbeating. I did this by sight---you can tell when all is smooth and glossy!!!

Bake them as soon as you have formed them. The protein in the egg whites plus all the sugar cause the meringues to brown when quickly baked. In a 200 degree oven, they'll turn dry and crisp, and stay pearly white. After baking 1 1/2 hours, turn the oven off and cool them inside--slow cooling helps prevent cracking.

Finally, store meringues in airtight containers or resealable plastic bags AWAY from moisture. They keep a week at room temperature or for a month in the freezer.

I used fresh blackberries---we dont have them here very often. A mixture of blueberries and raspberries (both frozen and defrosted) worked beautifully in this dessert.

I also topped with a dollop of whipped cream---speaking of which

WHERE IS DOLLOP?????
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Meringue Clouds--Review by Roxanne 21 (Issue 27 Page 4...)
Lovely recipe Roxanne, nice change from Pav. A keeper. And where is Dollop. Crickey mates, we have to send out a Dollop Party to find her, does anyone have an email?
  Re: Meringue Clouds--Review by Roxanne 21 (Issue 27 Page 4...)
This sounds yummy, Roxanne! We've misplaced dollop??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com