Fresh sardines!!!
  Re: (...)
My favourite grocery store that is about 20 miles away just opened a new store very close to here. We went yesterday, and they had fresh sardines. Nice little things about 4-6 inches long. I would have bought some, but don't know what to do with them. I remember Jean saying she had them at Cafe Jeanty. I'd love to try them, so any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Fresh sardines!!! by Lorraine (My favourite grocery...)
Another frown---sorry, but I don't care for sardines---right up there with anchovies!!! And I'm a seafood addict!!!! Would love to see what others think, though.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Fresh sardines!!! by Roxanne 21 (Another frown---sorr...)
At the Tavern on the Green, I had them for breakfast a long time ago. They just fried them up and served them with hash browns. Good breakfast!
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Fresh sardines!!! by Lorraine (My favourite grocery...)
OH LORRAINE!!! Smelts!! I don't think sardines are as rich in flavor as smelts? I don't really now, tho. Those were my very favorite new foods of 2005!!!!

Anyone who has the opportunity to try deep fried smelts, I hope you'll give them a try - we darn near licked the container. My friend Coleenie and I had them, as Lorraine mentioned, at Cafe Jeanty in Napa a couple years ago. I've so wanted to have Roy try them and I think twice now I've ordered them from a fish monger - only to be told they had sent them back because they were not (quality) acceptable.

Lorraine, check your new folks out and see if they can get some smelt for you - and when your s-i-l gets home, fry those suckers up and send some to me!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fresh sardines!!! by cjs (OH LORRAINE!!! Smelt...)
Oh piddle, I forgot to say - make some lemon aioli for the smelts..... yum!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fresh sardines!!! by cjs (Oh piddle, I forgot ...)
Okay,.....this is probably totally redneck...LOL, but I have a can of sardines in the pantry... grandma and I would eat them on crackers with mustard. Yep,....I think that's redneck alright!! LOL!!! Here's a pic:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j59/Bi...C00553.jpg
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Fresh sardines!!! by Bizymomma (Okay,.....this is pr...)
Oh, how great, our own little in-house redneck!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fresh sardines!!! by cjs (Oh, how great, our o...)
Yep, growing up we really enjoyed the canned sardines with saltines. It was a great snack while watching tv.

I haven't had them since I can remember.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Fresh sardines!!! by Half_Baked (Yep, growing up we r...)
Well piddle ( as Jean would say ) It was smelts and not sardines. Well, I will ask for the smelts, and I may try a few sardines, just to see what they're like. Jan, did they serve them with the heads on?

They also had little, little octopuses, octopii??? They could'nt have been more than 1 1/2 inches long, maybe 1 3/4. I've always wanted to cook them, I've only had them bbq'd, so didn't. Maybe next weekend.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Fresh sardines!!! by Lorraine (Well piddle ( as Jea...)
Lolly, sardines and smelt make good fishing bait, so I hear anyway. I occasionally buy canned ones for the 800 pound gorilla to take on the road. Don't they still have the guts in them?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy