2' flame...
  Re: (...)
I tried the Bananas Foster again, this time with a bit more heat and a bit more rum. I got a nice 2'+- flame that lasted several seconds.
  Re: 2' flame... by Ron (I tried the Bananas ...)
Ron, my husband (his name is Ron also) got the same effect when we tried that the other night. We were all delighted!
And of course, we thought it made it taste better! Nice WOW factor for company. Have fun!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: 2' flame... by Mare749 (Ron, my husband (his...)
WAY TO GO, RON!!!! See---practice makes perfect!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: 2' flame... by Ron (I tried the Bananas ...)
oooooh Ron, Chef would have marked you down for that...but, isn't it fun???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 2' flame... by cjs (oooooh Ron, Chef wou...)
Jean, would you please explain why?
  Re: Re: 2' flame... by Roxanne 21 (Jean, would you plea...)
Because in school, of course all of us wanted to 'outdo' each other with our flames and evidently this would happen with each class of apprentices, so chef told us from the outset, any flame over ~18" would get a deduction - to keep anyone from setting the kitchen on fire. We still pushed it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 2' flame... by cjs (Because in school, o...)
OMG! I just noticed the 2' part. Guess I read it wrong the first time. No way was our flame that big!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: 2' flame... by cjs (Because in school, o...)
Got cha--makes sense.
  Re: Re: 2' flame... by Mare749 (OMG! I just noticed...)
Quote:

OMG! I just noticed the 2' part. Guess I read it wrong the first time. No way was our flame that big!

Maryann

I just got out my ruler - neither was mine. I'd say more like 12" - 15". I've been using my 6" ruler a lot for some scaled drawings and it was a bit more than twice that, which would be 1'+, not 2'. At any rate, it was enough for me. 2' would definitely be something of a torch!
  Re: Re: 2' flame... by Ron ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Well, I don't think I've ever flambeed anything and got a flame over 3-4 inches. I was always told to heat the alcohol first them pour it in and flame immediately. Wonder why they told me that?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.