Time for Thinking Caps
  Re: (...)
I bought two large pork tenderloins at Costco the other day and left them in the freezer at my sis' house. I want to fix a truly special dish for them and the Truck Farmers when I return up there. It can't be too involved since she doesn't have a kitchen stocked like mine [I ordered the extra discs for my 14 cup Cuisinart food processor today]. For instance, for graters she has one of those old flat ones that our Grandmothers used and a coarse small one I bought for her, etc. Things like that, very simple kitchen and very simple ingredients although the things available to her is astounding. If I have the recipes before I go up, I can take "stuff" with me. Help please......I've got a couple of weeks before I go.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Time for Thinking Caps by bjcotton (I bought two large p...)
well, just 'cause I got here first, I'll start out - my first choice would be this old one from Gourmet -

PORK WRAPPED IN SAGE AND PROSCIUTTO

12 thin slices prosciutto (about 1/4 lb)
16 large fresh sage leaves
2 (1-lb) pork tenderloins
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Special equipment: an instant-read thermometer

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 425°F. Slightly overlap long sides of 6 prosciutto slices on work surface with short ends nearest you and scatter 8 sage leaves crosswise on top. Pat 1 pork tenderloin dry and sprinkle all over with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Put meat on top of sage across middle of prosciutto (tucking end of tenderloin underneath if very thin), then wrap prosciutto around pork to enclose. Wrap second tenderloin in same manner.

Transfer tenderloins, seam sides down and 2 inches apart, to a small roasting pan and brush prosciutto all over with oil, then roast until thermometer inserted in center of meat registers 150°F, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a platter and let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

Makes 6 to 8 main-course servings.

----

or - this one is so good with a black bean & polenta.

PORK TENDERLOIN CUBANO
Serving Size : 4

1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 T. fresh lime juice
2 T. dark rum
1/2 medium onion -- thinly sliced
3 each garlic clove -- minced
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. grd. cumin
1 tsp. salt
1 each bay leaf -- crumbled
1/4 tsp. grd. black pepper
2 12 oz. each pork tenderloin
Orange slices
Fresh cilantro sprigs

Mix first 10 ingred. (o.j. -> blk. pepper) in lg. resealable plastic bag.

Add pork to marinde, turn, close.
Refrig. overnite, turning pork once.
Preheat oven to 400 F. Transfer pork to baking pan; discard marinade.

Roast till ~150 degrees - about 25 min.
Let pork stand 5 min; cut crosswise into 1/2" thick slices.
Arrange on platter. Garnish w/orange slices and cilantro springs.

-------

BLACK BEAN & GOAT CHEESE POLENTA CASSEROLES

1 16-oz. tube ready-cooked Polenta, sliced into 16 1/2" medallions - or make your own, smooth into a sheet pan ~1/2" thk. and cut into rounds.
1 11-oz. pkg cooked carved chix breast (or leftover shredded chicken, or when serving as a side just omit)
1 10-oz.can or jar Black bean Dip
1 c crumbled goat cheese
1/2 c fresh or prepared salsa

Preheat oven to 425°.
Spray 8 12-oz. ramekins w/spray.

In each ramekin, layer 1 polenta round, 2 T. of the chicken, 2 T. of the black bean dip, 1 T. of the cheese, a second polenta round, & 2 more T. of the cheese.

Set the ramekins on a sheet pan to prevent spills.
Place on center rack, & cook till bubbly & hot, ~15 min.

Garnish w/Salsa & serve

Serving Ideas : original says 1 serving = 2 ramekin - one is plenty.

This is a great dish for trailer traveling.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Time for Thinking Caps by cjs (well, just 'cause I ...)
The first one "Pork wrapped in Sage and Proscuitto" is a possibility, but not the other two because of the citrus juice [Fredia], goat cheese [everybody else]. Doesn't that suck? I had them eating a little feta the other day, but just a bite or two.

Billy
Oh *****, Billy!!! I just reread - sorry, o.k. here you go with revision 'A' to my answer...

You could do any of the above, but this one is more geared for your big ones.

Maple-Mustard-Glazed Pork Roast

• 2-3 pound boneless pork loin roast
• 2/3 cup maple-flavored syrup
• 3 T. Dijon-style mustard
• 2 T. cider vinegar
• 2 T. soy sauce
• Salt and pepper
• 1 pound carrots, pared and quartered lengthwise*
• 4-6 medium red potatoes, scrubbed and halved

*Other favorite vegetables can be substituted: Brussels sprouts, winter squash wedges, sweet potatoes

Stir together maple syrup, mustard, vinegar, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Spread evenly over pork
roast and place in a shallow pan, surrounded by carrots and potatoes. Roast in a 350-degree oven until internal temperature of pork, measured with a meat thermometer reaches 150 degrees F., and vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes to 1 to 1-1/4 hours. Remove from oven; slice roast to serve with vegetables. Serves 6, with leftovers
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Time for Thinking Caps by cjs (well, just 'cause I ...)
That's a tough decision because I have so many favorites.

The best is the pork wellington--but way to complicated for a road trip soo

The bacon cider pork from Weeknight Menus??

Asian Pork Tenderloin Issue 22 Page 14
simple but very tasty
or Balsamic Tenderloin Issue 22 page 12

Pork Tenderloin with Orange Marmalade

Pork Tenderloin with Pineapple

I do not have these in my Mastercook yet BUT will be happy to post a complete recipe if any title should catch anyone's fancy. They are all great--just depends on the people you are cooking for as far as tastes.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
Billy, my standard way for cooking these is to put the tenderloin in a ziploc with teriyaki sauce for a few hours or overnight. Take it out and wrap it in bacon, then roast it in the oven the same way Jean said. I always drain it on paper towels for a couple of minutes to absorb the bacon grease so that the bacon is crisp.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Time for Thinking Caps by Mare749 (Billy, my standard w...)
My easiest way is similar to mare's. Take off all silverskin, place in ziplock bag and pour in some hoisin sauce. Drain, and bbq on medium low, don't want it too hot or the sugar in the hoisin will burn. Small ones are done in about 15 minutes. Or, I've roasted them in the oven also.

But my most fav. Remove silverskin, cut it so you can stuff it. Fry some onions or shallots (duck fat works really well ), add some cut up Granny Smith apples and fry till just tender. Add some fresh bread crumbs, and fresh thyme. If it seems a bit dry, add a bit of wine or stock. Stuff it, roll it, tie it, and bake it. Easy peasy! You can also add fresh mushrooms to the fry mixture.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Time for Thinking Caps by Lorraine (My easiest way is si...)
I guess I should have begun this plea with the things it CAN'T have in it: No citrus [unless it's a very little zest or a touch of juice], no soy [I can sub Oyster sauce], no broccoli, brussels sprouts, hominy, that's all I can think of right off the top of my head. Maybe I'll just go buy a couple of loins with ribs and make Crown Roast of Pork. I thought about the Bacon-Cider Pork, but the side of Sweet Potatoes couldn't use the Orange Marmalade. What was that tenderloin we did for one of our Dinners? That would certainly qualify as special. Lordy, CRS has struck!

Wasn't it Balsamic Pork Tenderloin?

Billy
  Re: Re: Time for Thinking Caps by bjcotton (I guess I should hav...)
YES-- it was the Balsamic Pork---but you should reduce the sauce BEFORE your dinner--takes a bit of time.

You could also substitute marmalade for another jelly/jam that your fellow eaters can tolerate--how about apple jelly or a plum jam??

Sweet potatoes for the bacon cider recipe could easily be replaced with rice, orzo, pasta---with some of the spices/herbs in the main dish??? Just a thought.

There was also a wonderful recipe for Japanese pork cutlets
and I would be most happy to post the recipe if you are interested---you will need Panko bread crumbs, however. Is that a problem? This is truly a very tasty dish that is not that difficult to make. Soy sauce and onions are the major ingredients. Not heavy and easy to digest----
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Time for Thinking Caps by Roxanne 21 (YES-- it was the Bal...)
I have the recipe for Japanese Style Pork Cutlets and have made it many times. It's great. I think I will go with the Balsamic Pork Tenderloins, buttered orzo [I made this into a buttered savory orzo too], maybe roasted veggies. I'll have to get my lil' sis' husband to do the grilling since I don't do charcoal grilling, but that's okay, he's pretty good on that thing.

Billy