Butternut Risotto
  Re: (...)
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/cjd...TOBOWL.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/cjd...TTOONE.jpg

Had this lat nite and it's a great dish!! (even with the omissions ) I've never made risotto except the 'classical' method, so was a little skeptical, but it works!

BUTTERNUT SQUASH, ROSEMARY, AND BLUE CHEESE RISOTTO

Goes great with: Salad of butter lettuce, radicchio, roasted pears, and toasted walnuts. What to drink: Red Burgundy or Pinot Gris.

7 cups (or more) low-salt chicken broth
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/4 cups finely chopped onion
1 2-pound butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch dice (about 3 cups)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary, divided
2 cups arborio rice (about 13 1/2 ounces)
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 cups (packed) baby spinach leaves (about 4 ounces)(*thot I didn't have any, so omitted)
1/2 cup whipping cream (*trying to watch our foods since the holidays, so omitted)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
*I added some toasted pine nuts also

1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese (about 1 1/2 ounces)

Bring 7 cups broth to boil in large saucepan. Cover and reduce heat to low.

Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add squash and 1 1/2 teaspoons rosemary; sauté 4 minutes to coat with butter. Add rice and stir 2 minutes. Add wine and simmer until evaporated, about 1 minute. Add 7 cups hot broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until rice is just tender and risotto is creamy and slightly soupy, adding more broth by 1/4 cupfuls as needed to maintain consistency and stirring occasionally, about 18 minutes. Stir in spinach, cream, and Parmesan cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Transfer risotto to large bowl. Sprinkle with blue cheese and remaining 1/2 teaspoon rosemary and serve.

Makes 4 servings.

Bon Appétit
February 2005
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Butternut Risotto by cjs ([url=http://i3.photo...)
Looks beautiful, Jean. I don't think I'd want spinach in it. The pine nuts were a great idea and when I saw the pic, I thought mmmmmm, pine nut topping.

When you say you left out the cream, did you use skim milk or water or broth?
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Butternut Risotto by cjs ([url=http://i3.photo...)
Is that salmon I see there??? YUMMM!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Butternut Risotto by Roxanne 21 (Is that salmon I see...)
Now I want some square plates. Darn this place!!!

I bought the huge 'charger' sized plates about 7 yrs ago and do use them a lot even though they have to be hand washed.
Jan

Re: Re: Butternut Risotto by Half_Baked (Looks beautiful, Jea...)
Poor Rox, you're not having a real good morning, are you? That's Cornish game hen... (stay with us here, hon! )

that was the beauty of the recipe Jan, I used the 7 cups of chix stock and mine needed nothing more. There was absolutely no reason for the heavy cream, imo.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Butternut Risotto by cjs (Poor Rox, you're not...)
I've gained so much weight since Jan 2nd that I've got a real problem. Anything 'lite' is on my must do list!
Jan

Re: Re: Butternut Risotto by cjs (Poor Rox, you're not...)
OOPS!!! Yes I am having a very busy time and trying to be everywhere at the same time---NO EXCUSE---BUT if one looks at that dish the first impression is of a salmon steak---maybe because I am thinking about a nice salmon dish when DH returns??? Salmon on my mind

Looks really great, Jean. Sure wish I could get one of those here but I bet a very large (for here, that is) chicken would work--what do you think??

Now to get through the next two weeks without %#@*%! up again!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Butternut Risotto by Roxanne 21 (OOPS!!! Yes I am h...)
Rox, I have exactly 5 min on the computer before I have to leave again-I quickly glanced and thought it was salmon, too, a second, closer look made me realize fish don't have wings........

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Butternut Risotto by pjcooks (Rox, I have exactly ...)
Loved your pictures Jean, and it made me think. How would it be if a halved butternut was roasted with the seed bowl discarded, and said bowl was filled with risotto? I love butternut, all squash really.
  Re: Re: Butternut Risotto by vannin (Loved your pictures ...)
Dale, this is a wonderful idea!
What a great vegetarian entree for my buffet-I'll have to name it after you, got any ideas, anyone?

PJ
PJ