Yucky smell!
  Re: (...)
I'm seasoning the pans and it's so yucky that I'm getting a headache. I took BJ's advice and am seasoning already seasoned pans. My there are a lot of little bumps on the bottom. I did expect that it would be smoother.

2 of the 3 cast iron pans arrived today. 10" skillet is great but I was initially disappointed with the "chicken" fryer. It as advertised as 3qt so I thought it would be larger. The pan does have a 10" top but the bottom of the pan is only about 8.5". Can't fit much chicken in that...but it'll be great for wings. I'm sure I'll find many wonderful uses for it. My word, the lid seems heavier than the pan. I love that it fits the frying pan and I have another 12" aluminum lid when I need it for the next pan to arrive.

I've been reading quite a bit and this person says you can cook anything in the pans just don't store food in them, especially acidic foods like tomatoey things. Then she says NO FOOD should be stored. Heck, who store food in pans?
(http://whatscookingamerica.net/Informati...onPans.htm)

Right now they are too heavy for me to lift and Mr HB is going to have a fit when he gets home. I did have the UPS man bring the box into the kitchen so I could easily open it from the island. By the time the pain in my left side hit, I already had the Chicken Box almost on the counter.

I know I will have a nap and a pain pill this afternoon.

If you own AllClad or an equivilent, is there anytime that you say..."Hey, I need a cast iron pan for this" and go into the cupboards to retrieve one. I don't have anything that fancy.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Yucky smell! by Half_Baked (I'm seasoning the pa...)
Jan---don't be Polish!!!! You are more intelligent than to be doing "stuff" that you shoudn't be----you WILL pay if you don't take care of yourself!!! LIFTING NOW??? NO WAY!!!!! Pay attention, sweetie---or you will be in deep *%#@@*
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Yucky smell! by Roxanne 21 (Jan---don't be Polis...)
But still:
"If you own AllClad or an equivilent, is there anytime that you say..."Hey, I need a cast iron pan for this" and go into the cupboards to retrieve one. I don't have anything that fancy.*

Yeah, it was stupid. I'm dying here...bored to tears. I feel like I want to get out on the road and run til I can't run anymore.

I know Mr HB will really be upset so I'm contemplating putting it all back in the box... OK, kick my azz now, I'm ready. Darn my boys living in Maryland! I really do need some help.
Jan

Re: Re: Yucky smell! by Half_Baked ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
Sit back and read a book that you have heard about and may be interested in---that "stuff" will be there at a later date---I KNOW---we are impatient and independent at times but now is the time to take advantage of those down times---you must think long term!!

ALL CLAD???? That's my fantasy---well, my second one!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Yucky smell! by Roxanne 21 (Sit back and read a ...)
Quote:

ALL CLAD???? That's my fantasy---well, my second one!!!

roflmao - I have many many books to read, plus my new magazines. I know I'm acting like a 3 yo...!!!
Jan

Re: Re: Yucky smell! by Half_Baked ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
geesus, Jan listen to roxanne!!

"If you own AllClad or an equivilent, is there anytime that you say..."Hey, I need a cast iron pan for this" and go into the cupboards to retrieve one. I don't have anything that fancy. "

I don't understand what you're meaning by the above Jan. I have AllClad and I do use other types of pans/skillets for different things - cast iron, a couple non-stick, a few pans that are so old I have no idea of the origin...

Bumpy cast iron!! I hate that stuff - that's why I'll only buy at used/antique shops. I have no idea when or why the mfg. started that crap with that finish.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Yucky smell! by cjs (geesus, Jan listen t...)
To be honest Jean, I'm a little pizzed at that. I mean they are CASTING iron. I did that in shop class many years ago and it was smoother than this.

Yes, it will be a very quiet weekend...lots of reading.

I mean: if you are cooking Salmon for example, do you say I'm definately going to cook this on my cast iron pan, as opposed to my SS.
Jan

Re: Re: Yucky smell! by Half_Baked (To be honest Jean, I...)
Jan, I'd see if I could return them. Jean's Roy and I went shopping in Medford [where Madmax lives] Christmas before last looking for smooth cast iron, we finally gave up. Like Jean I now go to second hand stores, garage sales, etc., when I want more cast iron. I was wondering if that stuff was the bumpy kind or not. My griddle was/is. It's going away into the wild blue somewhere . I have a couple of old cast iron skillets that need some cleaning and seasoning if ya want 'em.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Yucky smell! by bjcotton (Jan, I'd see if I co...)
I have checked out all the goodwills, thrift shops and garage type sales w/i a 15 mile radious - for many months.

I appreciate the offer BJ (you are so gracious) but these 4 pieces cost over $40.00 to send. I got free shipping so no matter what happens, I'm ahead of the game I guess.
Jan

Re: Re: Yucky smell! by Half_Baked (I have checked out a...)
Ok Sweetie, just keep it in mind.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy