Anniversary Dinner Ideas
  Re: (...)
It's me and my boyfriend's 1 year anniversary tomorrow and I want to make a really special dinner for him. Any ideas?
  Re: Anniversary Dinner Ideas by Allysa (It's me and my boyfr...)
Hello Allysa, what kind of food do you like? I can think of a thousand things, but they might all make you go erk.
  Re: Re: Anniversary Dinner Ideas by vannin (Hello Allysa, what k...)
Haha. I was mostly thinking about the meat. I like anything. Steak, pork, you name it. I nice cut of beef done creatively would be great or anything really. I'm all open
  Re: Re: Anniversary Dinner Ideas by Allysa (Haha. I was mostly t...)
How about a Chateaubriand. Served with roasted tomatoes on the vine, field mushrooms brushed with melted butter and grilled, and rosti, for mains. All on the one platter.

For starters perhaps a small salad. I still think Iceberg Lettuce is the very best, I am bored with all these so called fancy greens, and a stalk is always left hanging out of ones mouth. Perhaps you could add thinly sliced onion rings, just a couple to give the mouth a fright. And some thinly sliced gerkins or dill pickles. Dress with your favourite, or old fashioned kiwi dressing.

Bread and butter pudding is appreciated by most. Served with ice cream and whipped cream.

In spite of the B&B pud, it should not prove to heavy for the finale.

Each other.
  Re: Anniversary Dinner Ideas by Allysa (It's me and my boyfr...)
Oh oh oh--one of my favorites (well, 2 actually) is [Email]C@H's[/Email] Beef (or Pork) Wellington. (Issue # 42) The beef has a pate filling with duxelles, and a port wine sauce. The pork is rolled in prosciutto, and a boursin filling, and an apple sage sauce.

Really really really good, and very romantic.

Edited to add: Have I welcomed you yet? (CRS has set in)

If not, welcome!

PJ
  Re: Re: Anniversary Dinner Ideas by pjcooks (Oh oh oh--one of my ...)
oooohh! My boyfriend adores prosciutto!
  Re: Re: Anniversary Dinner Ideas by vannin (How about a Chateaub...)
Dale, that sounds very nice. I think the world is coming back around to iceberg again. Although the other stuff may be better for you, there's something missing-crunch. More and more restaurants around here are adding iceberg salads back on the menu-even the wedge with blue cheese, one of my personal comfort foods. Tell me about the bread and butter pudding. My grandmother used to make a bread pudding by buttering the bread first, and it was sooo good. Am I way off base?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Anniversary Dinner Ideas by pjcooks (Dale, that sounds ve...)
No PJ, not off base, that is the way I do it. Butter a dish. Butter bread with crusts on. Cut obliquely. Layer in dish, intersperse with raison,sultana, chopped appricot, redcurrants.chopped dates, or any dried fruit you happen to have. Only one will do if that is all you happen to have. Make custard of milk and eggs a little sugar. Poke it to make bubbles rise and stick it in the fridge until you remember to poke it again. There is no point in sending these things to the oven unmolested. I cook it at a mediumish to lower heat until it is risen and the top of buttered bread is golden. Bang it on the table while it is still risen so everyone thinks you are brilliant. One can add jam to the buttered bread, and it is nice, but I don't care for it too sweet, so a little goes a long way.
  Re: Re: Anniversary Dinner Ideas by vannin (No PJ, not off base,...)
Come to think of it, this would be rather nice as a savory dish. Layered with cooked veg. and herbs. No sugar in the custard. I think I will do that, but someone will have done before me, I am sure. Be good for a BBQ, or roast though, wouldn't it.
  Re: Re: Anniversary Dinner Ideas by vannin (Come to think of it,...)
I've done a bread pudding with caramalized onions, and some grated gruyere. That was pretty good. You're right, Dale, this can be quite versatile.

PJ
PJ