New book for me too!
  Re: (...)
The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart. I got this at the library. It was recommended to me by an experienced baker on another forum along with a couple of other books. This one is the best and fun to read as well.
This bread baking has really gotten ahold of me lately. I'm as surprised as anyone, as I've never liked the precision of baking very much.

For anyone who is still interested in getting a bread machine to use for the dough cycle, I saw a Sunbeam bread machine at Walmart yesterday for under $40, although my dad sees them at the Goodwill store pretty cheap too.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: New book for me too! by Mare749 (The Bread Baker's Ap...)
Making bread is, to me, annoying because [probably] I don't know anything about it. Don't know if it's the right consistency, how it's supposed to feel, yadda, yadda, yadda! I would feel much better if there were an experienced baker around I could work with. For that matter, any kind of dough just floors me!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: New book for me too! by bjcotton (Making bread is, to ...)
Quote:

Making bread is, to me, annoying because [probably] I don't know anything about it. Don't know if it's the right consistency, how it's supposed to feel, yadda, yadda, yadda! I would feel much better if there were an experienced baker around I could work with. For that matter, any kind of dough just floors me!

I do reasonably okay on cooking and can bake cookies, cakes, brownies, etc., but bread has always been a problem for me. Couldn't make it from scratch. Couldn't make it with a bread machine. Now I defrost a frozen Rhodes and pop it in the oven.
  Re: Re: New book for me too! by Ron ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
This is a new hobby for me. I've been cooking for at least 40 years and never could get the hang of baking bread like my mom did. So, I'm just now learning and for some reason finding it really fascinating. And the book I mentioned really is super.

Ron, you really should try the 18 hour No-Knead Bread recipe. It's so easy and really good!

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: New book for me too! by Mare749 (This is a new hobby ...)
That 18 Hour bread, altho very tastey and easy, is absolutely wonderful because of the confidence it is giving folks to delve further into bread making. That's great.

I don't have the book you mentioned, Maryann, but I do have 'The Bread Bible' - Rose Levy Beranbaum, which is quite the book also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: New book for me too! by cjs (That 18 Hour bread, ...)
Thanks Jean, I'll look into that one too.

Maryann
Maryann