Speaking of Orzo
  Re: (...)
I asked Jean which way she preferred to make orzo and she said she liked the cook and drain method because that way you could control whether it was al dente or not. I can handle that, but how do you get that tasty chicken broth taste if you cook it that way? I'm thinking I could use some Chicken Base and stir it in. What do y'all think?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Speaking of Orzo by bjcotton (I asked Jean which w...)
Is there a reason you cannot use the cook and drain method with chicken broth? Some flavour must perculate through.
  Re: Re: Speaking of Orzo by vannin (Is there a reason yo...)
No, no reason other than I didn't want to waste the chicken broth. Jean was right though about letting it absorb the broth and it getting over-done.

Billy
  Re: Re: Speaking of Orzo by bjcotton (No, no reason other ...)
But you could drain it into a pot for soup with extra. What about an orzo, corn and chicken soup?
  Re: Re: Speaking of Orzo by vannin (But you could drain ...)
Can't have the corn because of Fredia...allergies ya know. She had a cut on her finger and before I thought, I suggested she use some honey on a bandage...uh oh...not a good idea with her allergies. Might have had, what's that called? Anaphylactic shock?

Billy
  Re: Re: Speaking of Orzo by bjcotton (Can't have the corn ...)
Billy, I've been reading about manuka honey from New Zealand. Did you bring any of that back with you?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Speaking of Orzo by Mare749 (Billy, I've been rea...)
Most assuredly Maryann. Dale had sent me some and my brother used it with hot water for acid reflux; then my sis and I ordered some and she uses it on cuts under a bandage. Her heel had split and she'd used Neosporin and it just wasn't healing, used some Manuka honey and it was healed within 2 days. Dale and Shane had a 1 kg jug of it waiting for me when I arrived. It has a different taste, but it sure heals things!

Billy
  Re: Re: Speaking of Orzo by Mare749 (Billy, I've been rea...)
I most sincerely hope he did. I meant meant meant to send it and he found it in the pantry. Is this for me, he asked, and it was of course. You did take it Billy, didn't you? Manuka honey has some peculiar charactorists, I used to give my rest home residents a tspn. manuka, half a lemon juiced, a touch of crushed ginger, in hot water at 8 pm. Crushed passion fruit leaves, brought to the boil, as a tea was added if someone was unsettled. A teaspoon of the liquid was enough. That is 2-3 leaves, to a pint of water. (600mls).
  Re: Re: Speaking of Orzo by vannin (I most sincerely hop...)
LOL m'darling, crossed posts, so glad you have it. Keep me posted as to further supplies. PRN - SOS
  Re: Speaking of Orzo by bjcotton (I asked Jean which w...)
for the nice chickeny flavor Billy, you might have to cook it the other method (as rice, not pasta), but I don't use as much water for orzo as other pastas and I normally add a cup or so of stock to the water. You'll have to play with the flavor you all prefer.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com