Gumbo/okra...
  Re: (...)
I like most things in gumbo a lot, but okra not so much. Does anyone make it without okra? How much file powder (or should I use another thickener) would you sub for a cup of okra?
  Re: Gumbo/okra... by Ron (I like most things i...)
(I'll stay away from this...love the okra in it! )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Gumbo/okra... by Ron (I like most things i...)
I use okra, but by the time the gumbo is done, most of the okra has cooked away and works as a thickener. I don't use filé at all. Of course, I also like okra, so take that for what it's worth.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Gumbo/okra... by bjcotton (I use okra, but by t...)
Sorry, can't help. as I've never made gumbo. Heck, I don'
t know that Ive ever even eaten it. And it's Gil's signature soup at the Inn.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Gumbo/okra... by Lorraine (Sorry, can't help. a...)
I love gumbo with okra in it and have never used file powder, so I can't help with that. But since most gumbo starts with a roux anyway, wouldn't that help thicken the soup. Also, the addition of rice would help thicken it too.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Gumbo/okra... by cjs ((I'll stay away from...)
I think my very first post on the forum was this same question. I asked what could be substituted for okra---HATE okra--YUCK!!! It was file powder that came up by most responders. Now, it is my understanding that the two should not be used together. At the end of the cooking process, just before you are ready to serve, add the file powder. I usually go for about 1 TBS for the entire preparation---to serve 6-8. Of course, I don't make that much for two of us, but cut back accordingly. It was sort of a trial an error thing on my part and works well for me. Add too soon---stringy yucky mess. Issue 1 has some good info on gumbos--that's what got me started on this dish---I don't make it often though--too many other goodies to get into to. I also purchased file powder through Penzey's spice on line. We can get fresh okra here- but no powder---when there's a will, there's a way!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Gumbo/okra... by Roxanne 21 (I think my very firs...)
The only way I like veggies is raw or al dente. IMHO Okra quickly turns into a soft goody glob. I guess I'll try the Penzeys file and see if I have to make any further adjustments after that.
  Re: Re: Gumbo/okra... by Ron (The only way I like ...)
Ron, I serve filé on the side for those that want some. I guess if I wanted the gumbo thicker without using the okra or the filé I'd be in your position too. Don't know what I'd do either. Maybe some tomato paste? Arrow root?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Gumbo/okra... by Roxanne 21 (I think my very firs...)
I don't think you need either, just a good roux (not burned). My secret ingredient is a little duck stock (when I can get it) mixed with the others. Lots of the trinity.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Gumbo/okra... by Old Bay (I don't think you ne...)
Billy made us okra when he was here. I personally liked it. It was in a light stir fry. Not much used here, and the quality of the okra reflected that,I do know this wonderful veg. is available in the US in far finer fettle. I had only used it before once in my life, as an ingredient in a veg. soup. The soup was super, But Billys stir fry was better. I just wish we had access to the quality you may take for granted in the US.