Vanilla Pudding
  Re: (...)
We love vanilla pudding. Have anybody tried doing it from scratch...That would not include Jell-o box...HAHAH...if you do can you share a recipe?

THanks
  Re: Vanilla Pudding by piano226 (We love vanilla pudd...)
Here's mine from school -

Blancmange English-Style
Wayne Gisslen

this makes 2 1/2 pts.

2 lbs. (1 qt) milk
6 oz. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
4 oz. cornstarch
8 oz. (1/2 pt.) cold milk
.25 oz (or to taste) vanilla or almond extract

Combine the milk, sugar, & salt in a heavy saucepan & bring to a simmer.

Mix the cornstarch and the cold milk until perfectly smooth.

Pouring it in a thin stream, add about 1 cup of the hot milk to the cornstarch mixture. Stir this mixture back into the hot milk.

Stir over low heat till lthe mixture thickens and coms to a boil.

Remove from the heat & add desired flavoring.

Pour into half-cup molds. Cool & than chill. Unmold for service.

Notes: Blancmange or cornstarch pudding maybe flavored in any way that cream puddings are.

For puddings that are to be served in dishes rather than unmolded, reduce the cornstarch to 2 oz.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Vanilla Pudding by cjs (Here's mine from sch...)
But, but, but....Jell-o is so easy AND tasty As a matter of fact, I have some in the fridge right now that I'll be adding some sliced bananas and Nilla wafers to for dessert..or maybe crushed pineapple...
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Vanilla Pudding by bjcotton (But, but, but....Jel...)
COOL>>>TY TY....I always know i can rely on your guys....Guess what i am making today?
  Re: Re: Vanilla Pudding by piano226 (COOL>>>TY TY....I al...)
You know, I may also....Wink
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Vanilla Pudding by cjs (You know, I may also...)
I think my mother used to make this. Thanks, Jean!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Vanilla Pudding by Lorraine (I think my mother us...)
At the risk of raising anyones pureistic ire, the Greggs Vanilla Instant Pudding, if properly prepared is rather nice.
  Re: Re: Vanilla Pudding by vannin (At the risk of raisi...)
I haven't seen that brand here, Dale, but I'll keep it in mind in case I come across it.

Jean, thanks for the recipe. I'm going to make that tomorrow for the grandbabies! And for me too!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Vanilla Pudding by Mare749 (I haven't seen that ...)
Maryann, Dale probably hasn't seen Jello Instant Pudding there either I know I didn't see any Campbell's soups, Yuban Coffee, etc., etc.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Vanilla Pudding by bjcotton (Maryann, Dale probab...)
No Billy, I have not. Different names, but similar products perhaps. In spite of the fact I do most of the shopping (well, Shane does) around the perimeter of the supermarket, there are easy little gems on the isles. Quite winsome really. Jello or Jelly to me is the very clear thing you make from the pkt.