An Arancini Experiment
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by Roxanne 21 (Tons of stuff happen...)
And, another from The Sopranos Family Cookbook:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Arancini - Rice Balls

Recipe By :Michele Scicolone
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Appetizers

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
For the Filling
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion -- very finely chopped
1 clove garlic -- finely chopped
8 ounces ground beef
1 1/2 cups chopped canned Italian peeled tomatoes
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup frozen peas
For the Rice
5 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon saffron threads -- crumbled
2 cups medium-grain rice, such as Arborio
2 tablespoons butter
salt
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
4 large egg yolks
To Assemble
5 large egg whites
2 cups plain bread crumbs
flour -- for dredging
4 ounces sharp provolone -- cut in small dice
vegetable oil -- for deep-frying

To make the filling, put the oil, onion, and garlic in a medium skillet, turn on the heat to medium, and cook until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.

Add the beef to the skillet and cook, stirring to break up the lumps, until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring the sauce to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 30 minutes.

Add the peas and cook 5 minutes more. Let cool.

To make the rice, bring the broth and saffron to a boil in a large pot. Stir in the rice, butter, and salt to taste. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook until the rice is tender, about 18 minutes.

Remove the rice from the heat and stir in the cheeses. Let cool slightly, then stir in the egg yolks.

To assemble, beat the egg whites in a shallow bowl until foamy. Spread the bread crumbs on one sheet of wax paper and the flour on another. Place a cake rack over a baking sheet.

Dip your hands in cool water, to prevent the rice from sticking. Scoop up about 1/2 cup of the rice mixture and place it in the palm of one hand. Poke a shallow hole in the center of the rice. Press about 1 tablespoon of the filling into the hole and top it with a piece of provolone. Cup your hand slightly, molding the rice over the filling to enclose it completely. Add a little more rice if necessary to cover the filling completely. Very gently squeeze the ball together to compact the rice.

Carefully roll the rice ball in the flour, then in the egg whites to coat it completely. Roll the ball in the bread crumbs, being sure not to leave any spots uncovered. Place the rice ball on the cake rack to dry. Continue making rice balls with the remaining ingredients, rinsing your hands between each. When all of the rice balls have been made, place the rack in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to dry.

Pour about 3 inches of oil into an electric deep-fryer or a deep heavy saucepan. Heat the oil until the temperature reaches 375° on a deep-frying thermometer, or a drop of egg white sizzles when it is added to the oil. With a slotted spoon or skimmer, lower a few rice balls at a time into the hot oil; do not crowd the pan. Cook until golden brown and crisp all over, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the rice balls to paper towels to drain. Keep the cooked rice balls warm in a low oven while you fry the remainder. Serve hot or warm.

Source:
"The Sopranos Family Cookbook, pgs 80 & 81"
Yield:
"18 each"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by farnfam (I've been thinking t...)
...or we could ruin our week nite dinner and have a nice bottle of red, a salad and 18 hour bread and arancini.....how decadent would that be???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by cjs (...or we could ruin ...)
Let's go for it. You drink the red, I'll drink the white!

Billy, just a thought. I used the apple wood smoked cheese in a dish last week, and, although I did not use much, I found it overpowered the dish. I think I'd be a bit hesitant in using it. Just me, though.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by cjs (...or we could ruin ...)
Jean, that sounds like a plan to me! I have a question for you regarding your recipe.

I was reading through it and noticed that you cook the rice for 10 minutes. I have always had to cook arborio for about 25 minutes. Does the rice soften up more in the oven while baking? Thanks.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by Lorraine (Let's go for it. Yo...)
You may be right Lorraine. Maybe I'll try it both ways if I find it's not too time consuming up there.

Billy
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by Mare749 (Jean, that sounds li...)
I don't remember the 'about 10 min' - I'm sure it's always taken longer than that.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by cjs (I don't remember the...)
No, this is not a review, but I'm home today and thought I would make the first stuffing and tell you about it, in case anyone wants to make it. I think I'll call this one, "Clean Out The Fridge Arancini". I had two pieces of fresh pork belly and one piece of double smoked bacon. Diced them, and cooked them slowly to render off the fat, and removed them to paper towels. Added one chopped shallot, my sad 3 inch stubb of leek that I chopped. and the cremini and button mushrooms that were calling out to be used. Cooked until soft, deglazed the pan with a bit of white wine. ( I seasoned it as I went along). Put the pork and bacon back into the pan, added the flimsy dregs of coffee cream, medium cream and heavy cream that were in the frisge, reduced it all down, added some chopped fresh thyme, parsley and savoury, and adjusted the S&P. Before stuffing, I'll shred the end of the piece of gruyere I have. Hope it works.
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by Lorraine (No, this is not a re...)
I would say that was a "clean out the fridge" combination. Probably about what I'd put in one if I cleaned out the frig, but I have some fresh Chevre cheese and celery.

Billy
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by Lorraine (No, this is not a re...)
Lorraine, "Clean out the Fridge ______________ " is almost always fantastic!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by cjs (Lorraine, "Clean out...)
"Clean out the Fridge ______________ " is almost always fantastic "

I think so too. I was looking in the fridge at all the leftovers and how I could stuff the arancini. I think an arancini party might be fun!

When we started talking about making arancini, I put arborio rice on my shopping list, and bought it thursday. I following the soprano's recipe for the rice, thawed and heated my stock, added the rice. It was ORZO!!!!!!! I can't believe I did that. I must have orzo etched in my brain.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.