Sichuan Shrimp with Chili Sauce
  Re: (...)
Don't know if anyone other than Sharon will be interested in this dish - it's a little hot, but oh my, the flavors!! It was one of the worst written recipes I've ever seen, so I'll try to rearrange things so it's a little more understandable - altho, some of it I never did understand and just winged it (or should that be 'wonged it'??)

6 T. oil, divided

Mix together, while assembling other ingredients:
1 lb. large shrimp - not more than 24 to a pound, cleaned
2 tsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. mirin

Seasonings:
1 T. mashed and finely mined garlic
1 T. mashed and finely minced ginger
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp. hot chili paste (optional) - but very good in it
(for your mise en place, you can have all the above seasoning ingredients in one small bowl)
3 Red hot Chili Peppers, "genuine Tabasco peppers work really great" (I used 2 Jalapeno, seeds and membranes included), minced

Sauce - mix together in small bowl:
5 T. ketchup
1 T. sugar
1/2 T. salt
1 T. mirin

Vegetables:
10 spears asparagus, cut off tips whole, and the rest (stems) cut in 1" steep diagonal cut
1 stalk of celery, cut in thin diagonal slices
1 good size bamboo shoot, cut in long thin slice to compliment the other vegetables

1 dash of Toasted Sesame Oil

Boil a qt. of water in your wok. Immerse all the veggies and boil rapidy till they reach peak color brightness and are crisp tender. Remove to a bowl and keep warm. Dump water and dry wok.

Put 5 T. of the oil in the wok and get it smoking hot; add the shrimp and stir till just pink and done. This shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes. Put onto plate and discard all excess oil and quickly wipe out wok.

Heat the last 1 T. oil in wok. Get it smoking hot and toss in the hot peppers. Cook them for a minute, at most, till you are getting good whiffs of cooking chili. Add the other seasonings and stir for 15-20 seconds.

Add the sauce ingredients and stir to mix. Add back in the shrimp and veggies. Stir till all reheated. Give a quick dash of toasted sesame oil, then a quick stir.

I served this with lots of rice and it's really good!! It's hot, but good!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sichuan Shrimp with Chili Sauce by cjs (Don't know if anyone...)
It sure sounds good to me, Jean! I'm so hungry for something really tasty.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.