HALIBUT AU PERNOD
  Re: (...)
We made this the other nite--you can substitute sea bass or lemon sole for the halibut and anisette for the pernod at a fraction of the cost. Serve with vegis and rice pilaf or herbed polenta.

5 Tbls butter
1 cup Veloute sauce (recipe follows)
8 ozs button mushrooms chopped
1 tomato chopped
pinch of garlic salt
3 Tbls Pernod
1/6 cup white wine
freshly ground black pepper
2 6-8oz halibut fillets

Prepare a basic veloute sauce
In another pan melt 1 Tbls butter and saute mushrooms and tomatoes until softened. Add a pinch of garlic salt.

Marry the two sauces, adding the mushroom and tomatoes to the veloute and blend well. Add Pernod; cook down a bit. Add the white wine and pepper and keep warm

For the sea bass:
Preheat oven to 350.
Melt 4 Tbls butter in a skillet. Over med high heat sear the fish for 3-4 min per side, or more depending on thickness. Bake for 1-2 min depending on thickness. Makes a nice crust.

Serve sauce over fish.

Veloute Sauce:
This is a "mother" sauce for this dish. Adapted from Julia Childs "The Way to Cook".
3 Tbls butter
2 Tbls flour
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup chicken broth
Salt and white pepper to taste

Cook butter and flour together for 2 min, stirring so mixture does not brown. Remove from heat.
Heat chicken broth and add hot broth & cream to butter/flour mixture, stirring often with a wire whisk to smooth consistency--add salt and pepper to taste and simmer 3 min.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: HALIBUT AU PERNOD by Old Bay (We made this the oth...)
Oh Bill, that just sounds wonderful!!! Boy, is that copied!

Quick quiz...O.K., what are the five mother sauces?????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: HALIBUT AU PERNOD by cjs (Oh Bill, that just s...)
You rabble rouser! Just to stir the pot, I archived this years ago, said by a favourite person of mine, Chef Jon:

The MOTHER SAUCES:

Mango Salsa
Ketchup ( not katsup)
Miracle Whip
Tabasco
and
Giblet Gravy

But, I do know what they are, because I listen to Chef Jean!!!!!

Back on topic, thank you for the recipe! My brother in Nanaimo made a similar dish about 25 years ago, and we both lost the recipe years ago. Now we can cook it again!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: HALIBUT AU PERNOD by Old Bay (We made this the oth...)
This sounds fantastic! If I hide the mushrooms, I'm sure I can get the Picky One to enjoy this! (He hasn't realized he enjoys the flavor of mushrooms, it's the mushroom texture, I guess, that he doesn't like.)

Thanks!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: HALIBUT AU PERNOD by cjs (Oh Bill, that just s...)
Mother sauces- (I like your reply, Lorraine, I think teriyaki should fit in there somewhere!!)-

Hollandaise
Espagnole-(brown)
Tomato
Bechamel
Veloute

Believe it or not, it took me a while to think of the tomato, duh.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: HALIBUT AU PERNOD by pjcooks (Mother sauces- (I l...)
Ba Da Bing, Pj wins!!! Well, only according to some people. I've seen some nasty debates over Mother Sauces! LOL

And now, back to our regular scheduled halibut program.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: HALIBUT AU PERNOD by Lorraine (Ba Da Bing, Pj wins!...)
Lorraine, that sparks a memory- is it Hollandaise that doesn't actually qualify as a mother sauce?

It's been a while since I've had to recall this info...

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: HALIBUT AU PERNOD by pjcooks (Lorraine, that spark...)
Yup, Hollandaise is a mother sauce.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com