Rice Question-Urgent
  Re: (...)
None of the stores I went to yesterday had Arborio rice. The closest I could come was Pearl. Will this work for the Arancini? I've never used Pearl rice.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Rice Question-Urgent by bjcotton (None of the stores I...)
I'm sure it will be fine!! go for it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Rice Question-Urgent by cjs (I'm sure it will be ...)
Try orzo!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Rice Question-Urgent by bjcotton (None of the stores I...)
short-grain rice = round grain rice = pearl rice Notes: This is sticky, though not as much as glutinous rice. It's a good choice if you're making sushi or rice pudding, and it also works pretty well in a risotto or paella. Brown short-grain rice isn't as sticky. Substitutes: medium-grain rice (fluffier, less sticky) OR long-grain rice (even fluffier, even less sticky)
  Re: Re: Rice Question-Urgent by Ron (short-grain rice = r...)
So, exactly what are you saying Ron?

I guess it's what I have so I'll work with it..thanks for the rapid responses.
Also couldn't find Pecorino Romano so got Romano, no gruyere except the smoked, no sharp provolone, so I'll just work with it too...maybe use Parm. Reg.

Billy
  Re: Re: Rice Question-Urgent by bjcotton (So, exactly what are...)
Quote:

So, exactly what are you saying Ron?

I am not familiar with arancini, so I don't know what the impact would be in your case, but doubt that it would be a problem. I like Basmati and use that regardless of what rice is specified. I do know that it is recommended that you stir pearl rice regularly. Good Luck!
  Re: Re: Rice Question-Urgent by Ron ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
For what it's worth, I've seen something like this at the Asian market I shop at, and I don't think they use arborio rice at all. Probably just have a different taste.

I made the arancini today using arborio and they are nice and light. (Jean's recipe) I won't say any more though since we aren't suppose to review until the 12th. I have to get back to the kitchen now before they are all gone!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Rice Question-Urgent by Mare749 (For what it's worth,...)
We buy Basmati rice is 20 pound bags Ron. It only lasts us a couple of months...obviously we eat quite a bit of rice.

Billy
  Re: Re: Rice Question-Urgent by bjcotton (We buy Basmati rice ...)
Quote:

We buy Basmati rice is 20 pound bags Ron. It only lasts us a couple of months...obviously we eat quite a bit of rice.

You must really like rice! That would last a couple of years around here.
  Re: Re: Rice Question-Urgent by Ron ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Ya figure the 800 pound gorilla can eat almost 4 cups of cooked rice by himself it goes pretty fast.

Billy