Sausage-Stuffed Portobellos
  Re: (...)
from the SmartCarb Cooking book - anyone else try it yet? We had them last nite and they are quite tastey!! Can't remember where we were, but I picked up some Goat Mozzarella and used that - really good flavor, if you like goat!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sausage-Stuffed Portobellos by cjs (from the SmartCarb C...)
They are very good! We really like them. I frequently make the recipe with just a little crumbled bacon instead of the sausage and use that as a side dish with a grilled chicken breast. Yummy.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
SmartCarb Cooking book

Do I have that book??? I just fried up a sausage mixture to stuff mushrooms with, but they're just big old plain ones.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Sausage-Stuffed Portobellos by Lorraine (SmartCarb Cooking bo...)
I don't think there is such a thing as a big old plain one Lorraine. I wouldn't call my method exactly stuffing either. Sometimes we can buy a bucket of mushrooms from a couple of boys who scout the farmland around. I just top the lovely wide flat things with skinned seeded tomatoes, zucchini, bacon, fresh breadcumbs, cheese to top. Or perhaps a poached or dry fried egg, with the other toppings. They prove a substantial meal. I can eat one. Shane can eat two, and the boys.... well, we make plenty.
We made the Sausage Stuffed Portobello recipe from the Weeknight Grilling book for the second time last night. I don't have the Low Carb book for comparison ... this one has Italian sausage, onion, peppers, garlic, spinach & fresh mozzarella in the stuffing, topped with sliced romas and a parmessan bread crumb topping.

The second batch was better because we learned that the bowl shapped portobellos are best for holding in the filling. The filling recipe makes enough to stuff 6 large portobellos. The sausage mixutre needs to be sauted until nearly all of the liquid is reduced, otherwise it's too soupy when the liquid from the portobello and the mixture combine. Also, mix in the mozzarella just before stuffing. It's easier to work with when it's not already melted. Since this is grilled, we brushed the bottoms of the portobellos with olive oil to prevent sticking.

It was better the second time mostly because of the bowl shaped portobellos. The first time it was a struggle to keep them together on the grill.

This recipe is definitely worth a try!
  Re: Re: Sausage-Stuffed Portobellos by HomeCulinarian (We made the Sausage ...)
The recipes are only a little different.

Weeknights has a bread crumb/parmeasan etc topping
Low-carb just has parmeasan

Weeknights uses 1 lb sausage
Low carb uses 1/2 lb

Weeknights uses 1 bag spinach
Low carb uses 4 cups arugula or spinach

Weeknights uses sherry to deglaze the pan
Low carb does not use this step.

Weeknights uses sliced tomatoes on top
Low carb has you chop and add to the stuffing with the spinach

Other than that basically the same. Low carb aslo gives directions to roast or grill them.
Erin
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Sausage-Stuffed Portobellos by esgunn (The recipes are only...)
I was on my mushroom kick a couple weeks ago and made this dish but from a previous C@H recipe and I will definitely do again---Peter even loved it!!! (Not a major mushroom fan---but learning to enjoy new things---as you all know!!!)

Anyway---the sausage was my favorite homemade recipe (Jean's) and the ingredients were melded beautifully----now I have another craving once I have Portobellos again---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Sausage-Stuffed Portobellos by esgunn (The recipes are only...)
Erin, when do you find the time to type??? Do you ever sleep? I had 3 boys under 4 and it took every bit of energy I had to keep the house clean, the laundry done and everyone fed (well, of course)!

Of course, I was in my 20's then, 20 yrs later, it looks so hard to do!

Good for you, girl!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Sausage-Stuffed Portobellos by pjcooks (Erin, when do you fi...)
Pj and Billy. Sometimes this is my only contact with people in the outside world - for days! I am pretty busy too, but I have to keep some interests alive. I don't know if being younger and doing this would be better or not. I am 41. I think I work smarter now, and I am learning to loose my perfectionist tendencies. I can't keep up with the vacuming - we live in a counrty like setting, I have three kids, two cats, one dog and a very outdoorsy/handy husband. I vacuume and mop one day and by the next they are bad again. I have just learned to do my best. I check in mostly during the kids breakfast and at lunch time.
Erin
The time is flying by.