Smelts - Beautiful Little Smelts!!!!
  Re: (...)
They had them today, so I bought some. When I said "I'd like four", he said "four pounds???" I said " No, four smelts". He asked WTH I was going to do with 4 smelts. I said, "Cook them". Now I don't know what to do with them. I was thinking of flouring them and frying in butter.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Smelts - Beautiful Little Smelts!!!! by Lorraine (They had them today,...)
Eeeeeeeew, guts, eyeballs and all?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Smelts - Beautiful Little Smelts!!!! by bjcotton (Eeeeeeeew, guts, eye...)
Nope. No head, all gutted and cleaned.
  Re: Re: Smelts - Beautiful Little Smelts!!!! by Lorraine (Nope. No head, all ...)
The most common way seems to flour 'em and deep fry 'em.

I just looked it up on Wiki and when they were describing them at 6" w/ head, I thought I understood the fishmonger's question. Then I read they could grow up to 2'. Now that makes sense.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Smelts - Beautiful Little Smelts!!!! by Half_Baked (The most common way ...)
Well, the deep fryer will be on for the arancini! These are small, maybe 3-4 inches tops. The ones we used to catch when I was kid were abit bigger, maybe 6-8 inches. Sauces are all made, can't wait to try everything!
  Re: Re: Smelts - Beautiful Little Smelts!!!! by Lorraine (Well, the deep fryer...)
We used to catch them off the Piha Bridge. With cobwebs on the end of bullrushes.
  Re: Smelts - Beautiful Little Smelts!!!! by Lorraine (They had them today,...)
well, this really stinks!! Here I sit with all the smelt ideas for preparation and there you sit with all (6!?) the smelt!!! I still haven't found any...and they were so good!

What did you finally do with them? Deep fried...yes!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Smelts - Beautiful Little Smelts!!!! by cjs (well, this really st...)
there you sit with all (6!?) the smelt

Nope, I only bought 4!!! LOL

I floured them, deep fried two of them, and pan fried 2 in butter. I'll buy them again!!
  Re: Re: Smelts - Beautiful Little Smelts!!!! by Lorraine (there you sit with a...)
I'm glad you didn't eat them guts and all I'll have to call my PETA friends and tell them you're eating baby fish!

I haven't had smelt since I was a little kid and my dad would go out and catch them.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy