Does anybody grow herbs indoors?
  Re: (...)
I am the world's worst gardener. My FIL recently gave me a tabletop hydroponic greenhouse. It's only been two weeks and my herbs are an inch high already! No one is more amazed than I am. So, I'm wondering if anybody else does this and if you have any advice to offer. Thanks.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Does anybody grow herbs indoors? by Mare749 (I am the world's wor...)
Not yet...one of my nieces gave me an indoor greenhouse last week with the seeds for 6 herbs. I'll give it a try. No read experience though.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Does anybody grow herbs indoors? by bjcotton (Not yet...one of my ...)
I've never had an indoor greenhouse so my tries at growing herbs indoors has always been a waste of time and money. Even sitting on a windowsill, they just slowly pined away. The seeds never worked for me and I managed to kill plants that I'd purchased.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Does anybody grow herbs indoors? by Half_Baked (I've never had an in...)
I used to start my herbs inside (Feb. or March) and then transplant out on the deck or yard, wherever we happened to be living. Last year we were in the middle of 'the move' so didn't get any started that way. This year??? Think I'll just buy the plants when it's time.

Growing them indoors? I did do basil and a couple others over the years, but if I remember right, I don't think I had as lush plants doing that as having them outdoors.

Good luck Maryann.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Does anybody grow herbs indoors? by cjs (I used to start my h...)
Supposedly, these plants can stay in the greenhouse until they get too tall for it, or can be transplanted to pots at any time. I planted a row of basil and a row of sage, with room for one more row, which I can't decide on.

One of the grandkiddies asked me, "where are the gerbals?"

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Does anybody grow herbs indoors? by Mare749 (Supposedly, these pl...)
I would love to have a hydroponic table top green house. I may juast have to try that. My sister grew a tomato plant in a hydroponic pot in her sunroom last year. It went through a gallon of water a day. It grew to 12 feet high and they had tons of tomatoes on it.

We start all our seed inside every year - well almost all of them. I have had luck starting Basil - lots of different types. Parsley and cilantro. Usually I just start basil. Parsley once going lasts in our garden year after year - unless it is really dry or really cold. Chives also. Basil and cilantro and dill and tarragon have only lasted on year for me. Cilantro almost always bolts. I get very frustrated growing cilantro. Basil works if I keep pinching it back and protect it some.

I have pots of Rosemary, sage, oregano and Thyme that have been growing for 2 or more years from one plant. More than enough for me to use. I plant whole window boxes full of Basil every year.

Good luck with it!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Does anybody grow herbs indoors? by esgunn (I would love to have...)
Erin, my little greenhouse is a much smaller version than what your sister used. I have it setting up on a TV tray in my dining room window where it can get the most light. There is a 1 gallon container that is attached to the side of the base that you fill once a month with water and growing nutrients. Very easy for someone like me who can't seem to grow anything.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Does anybody grow herbs indoors? by Mare749 (Erin, my little gree...)
I really like the idea of a small table top greenhouse. What size is it - or does it have a brand name on it? I went today and looked at the Very small hydroponics place we have near our house and it was very hard to tell what was what in their catalogue.

Thanks
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Does anybody grow herbs indoors? by esgunn (I really like the id...)
Erin, this unit is plastic, and is only 10" x 15" with an extra 4" which contains the plastic gallon container for the water, so it sits nicely on a TV tray. The plastic dome that sits on top is only 9" high, so once the plants get tall, you can either take the top off or transplant.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Does anybody grow herbs indoors? by Mare749 (Erin, this unit is p...)
Geez, mine is really tiny then, it's maybe 6" x 3 or 4" wide and about 4 inches tall. It has these little bitty red clay pots and the soil comes in tablet form. You put one tablet in each pot and add 2 Tbs of water, then wait until the tablet expands to fill the pot.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy