Hello!!! Stories and good news
  Re: (...)
Ok I have been so busy at school and work I have totally been lax in my postings and writings and I am so sorry!

But I do have an amusing story to share and some really good news.

Story #1

So a few weeks back I'm a getting dressed to go to school. I always get dressed at work because I never know what the traffic will be like and often times I have just enough time to run and start class, with no time to change.

Ok so there I am in the bathroom's large stall just putting one leg into my pants. Now these pants are standard ’chef' wear, black pants, elastic waist band, draw string loop (no clue why) and a zipper. You simply pull them on/off. The zipper is for our male counterparts who like to stand and tinkle.

So as my leg is going into the pant I realize that somehow I have put my foot thru the drawstring. Not a real emergency in and of itself, but at that very moment some small little hobbit (a client’s child who was unmonitored) saw the irresistible red pull handle on the wall outside and yanked. So my foot is going thru the drawstring loop, the lights go out and emergency lights come on while at the same time and razzingly loud buzz, glanging alarm goes off. This in turns scares the crap out of me and causes me to firmly thrust my leg fully into the loop which is several inches smaller than the diameter of my thigh. Keep in mind that I do not know how the alarm went off since I'm now stuck in a stall and I must assume it is a fire and must evacuate.

Yes you can picture it now...I have been hobbled in my pants. I can't get my leg out, the blood circulation is being removed quickly and I'm standing there bouncing with one leg in, the other out in my bra and panties yelling cuss words that I didn't know I knew. I loose my balance and whack my head on the door and was promptly knocked on my bum.

That's where they found me. My pride was bruised…but I was so happy to see a pair of scissors I would have wept if it was from me laughing so hard.

Great News!

So the head instructor comes up to me and says "Hey I want you to go see Chef Knight. She has some paperwork I want you to fill out." I'm clueless and go to find Chef. She tells me "Oh yes..here this is an application for the Academy Awards." Long and short I was nominated by my chef instructors to apply. So I figured hey why not?

Well I just found out, after a lengthy background check I got it!! I was one of 5 chosen!! I will be working all 5 days Feb 21-25 from 8am till 4pm. With a double shift on Sunday the day of the awards. I cannot believe it! I will be able to put on my resume I worked with Wolfgang Puck at the Academy Awards!

I have also been nominated to apply for the Cannes Film Festival in Nice, France. I want this gig so bad I can taste it. 3 weeks in France cooking with Master Chefs....*drools*. Announcements for that are set for April 4th and I know I am up against some very stiff competition. I trully am happy being nominated by my instructors. It shows me that they have faith in my abilities. Keep your fingers crossed!!!!

My journey of culinary school is coming to an end. Next Friday is my last day. Our Tasting Menu is on Valentines Day, it's our final. Our menu is as follows -

Amuse Bouche -

A Lovers Trio - Herb and Cheese Stuff Mushrooms, Tandoori Chicken, Lobster Cucumber Cup with Cauliflower Mousse

First Course -

The Liason - Roasted Potatoes with Saffron Aioli

Second Course -

Lustful Desire - Seared Scallops with Tropical Orzo (Jean we're also using the Citrus Dust on these! )

Intermezzo -

Citrus Tryst - Champgne Citrus Sorbet

Fish Course -

Love Affair - Ricotta and Herb Ravioli with Pan Seared Monk Fish

Meat Course -

Pink Crush - Pink Peppercorn Crusted Beef Tenderloin with Habiscus Demi Glace

Cheese Course -

Tender Embrace - Burrata Cheese with Roasted Tomatoes and Basil Pesto

Dessert -

Chocolate Rapture - Painted Sponge Cake with Dark Chocolate, Passion Fruit and Milk Chocolate Mousse

Mignor Dise -

Sweet Infatuation - Chocolate Covered Strawberries, Red Velvet Cake and Petit Fours

I have secured an externship at a restaurant that doesn't require me to drive 2 hours to get to called Farm Artisan
Foods. I start on Feb 26th. I'm very nervous because I have no exp in a restaurant. My interview went very well and
he seem to take it in stride that I had no exp. But hey...can't turn your nose up to 150 hours of free labor eh?

Will write more soon!
  Re: Hello!!! Stories and good news by DFen911 (Ok I have been so bu...)
Congratulations!!!! Wow, the Academy Awards! That is such an honor. AND congratulations on graduation! AND congradulations on not breaking your neck or leg when the 'lights went out'!

I can't believe you're going to help at the Academy Awards...and maybe Nice. Say hey to Wolfgang for us.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
Denise,

First of all, congrats!! What a wonderful experience for you, the chance of a lifetime! All your hard work and diligence paid off in the end.

Did you actually pass out in the ladies? That was a funny story. Something sorta similar happened to me. I was in the ladies room, minding my own business, when the toilet paper holder (one of those big industrial size ones that hold 2 giant rolls of paper) fell off the wall and hit me in the head. It knocked me sideways and the other side of my head hit the wall. I was dizzy but determined not to pass out-well, who wants to be found like that?:o
They did replace it with a lower, sturdier model.

Anyways, congratulations again, you deserve the honors!!

PJ

Edited to add that I think your menu sounds fantastic!
PJ
  Re: Re: Hello!!! Stories and good news by Half_Baked (Congratulations!!!! ...)
Denise, you have so much exciting news! Thank you for sharing it with all of us. Congratulations on your graduation and for being nonimated by your instructors to attend some pretty important events. You have a wonderful future ahead of you and it's well deserved. Oh, and your bathroom story is hilarious!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Wow! Congrats! You deserve it! I am very happy for you. And what do you mean you have no restaurant experience - you will be walking in just after 4 days of working for the ACADEMY AWARDS AND WOLFGANG PUCK!!! Who can ask for better experience than that!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
OH DENISE, I AM SO HAPPY, SO THRILLED, SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!

You knocked their socks off in that school, that's for sure! What an absolute fantastic start to a wonderful, exciting career you will have! And...we can say we knew you when.

You go get 'em and just take note after note thruout your working with the crew at Wolfgangs!

Congratulations, you really did work your little heart out for this. For what it's worth, I couldn't be more proud than if you were my own daughter and protege
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hello!!! Stories and good news by cjs (OH DENISE, I AM SO H...)
:and just take note after note "

Yup. Keep a little notebook like Jean does in her pocket!!

Geez, I had to read this one a few times, I was getting teary eyed. Big congratulations, Denise!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Hello!!! Stories and good news by Lorraine (:and just take note ...)
...and keep a camera in your pocket, too!!!
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
Muchas Congrats Denise!! How cool is that!!
Be sure to give us every detail of the Awards banquet and anything at all you pick up from Wolfgang Puck.
You go girl
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Hello!!! Stories and good news by farnfam (Muchas Congrats Deni...)
Well, I'm certainly not surprised! You've worked very hard, even to helping your classmates. But, whooooohoooo girl, youse is hot!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy