Basmati rice...
  Re: (...)
I just used up the last of my Basmati. Does anyone have a favorite brand? I'd particularly like to hear from BJ, who apparently consumes as much as Cleveland.
  Re: Basmati rice... by Ron (I just used up the l...)
We buy Texmati down here.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Basmati rice... by Old Bay (We buy Texmati down ...)
Texmati up here, too. They've got a new organic arborio, too, though I haven't seen it here yet.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Basmati rice... by pjcooks (Texmati up here, too...)
Costco up here sells 15lb burlap bags of Daawat Basmati and Brown Basmati rice. If I buy it in the store I buy brown Texmati rice.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Basmati rice... by esgunn (Costco up here sells...)
I use a lot of Basmati - Daawat Premium.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Basmati rice... by cjs (I use a lot of Basma...)
I've been buying Riceland and am not displeased with it, but will buy and try the other suggestions if available. I think I've seen Texmati, but not the other one.
  Re: Re: Basmati rice... by Ron (I've been buying Ric...)
I use the same kind as Jean and Erin. Costco carries it. I said 20 lb bag, but apparently it's 15 lbs. Cook's illustrated had an article on the best way to cook basmati rice. They cooked it several different ways and just weren't satisfied with it. Finally, they just measured it out of the container, didn't rinse it, and put it right into the pot and cooked it. They said that was the best way and you got all the flavor, etc. I could have told them that and they wouldn't have had to waste so much rice . I had already tried all the ways they did and settled on right out of the container into the pot.

I haven't seen Texmati rice in the stores here. Maybe cause I wasn't looking for it, but will now. I am very happy with the Daawat Premium.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Basmati rice... by bjcotton (I use the same kind ...)
I do mine like Billy -
saute onion in little butter
dump in 2 c. rice out of container
swish around till I begin to smell it
add 1 qt. stock/water
add whatever goodies I want (toasted pine nuts, dried cranberries, etc.)
bring to boil, cover, simmer for 18 min.
take of heat and let rest 5 min.
turn out on b. sheets and put in fridge for quick chill
pkg. up.

wham, bam, that be it.
good rice every time.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Basmati rice... by cjs (I do mine like Billy...)
Sheesh, I've never cooked basmati.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Basmati rice... by Lorraine (Sheesh, I've never c...)
Oh Lorraine, never had a burrito, never had okra, never had basmati rice, you poor girl! I'll have to send you some with a burrito and okra in it
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy