Cheeseburger Soup
  Re: (...)
Hi, everybody! I really want to make the Cheeseburger Soup from Splendid Soups, but it has 1/4 c. flour and that's a no-no on my stupid diet. Do you think I can substitute cornstarch, and if so, how much? Thank you for any help!
Tammy
  Re: Cheeseburger Soup by TwilightKitten (Hi, everybody! I rea...)
Tammy, another way you might try is adding more potatoes - maybe one or two - than the soup calls for and remove a few when cooked and mash them up and add as a thickener.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cheeseburger Soup by cjs (Tammy, another way y...)
Thank you both for the advice!

So, just how different will it be if I use the cornstarch?

Eh, maybe I'll cheat just a teensy bit and use the flour. I'm such a wuss when it comes to experimenting!
Tammy
  Re: Re: Cheeseburger Soup by TwilightKitten (Thank you both for t...)
Wow, 1/4 cup flour distributed into 8 1/2 cups soup - that's a strict restriction...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cheeseburger Soup by cjs (Wow, 1/4 cup flour d...)
Hey Tammy,
Is Masa Harina allowed on your diet? I was thinking it would work as well as flour and not change the appearance really. Maybe?
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Cheeseburger Soup by farnfam (Hey Tammy,[br]Is Mas...)
I wouldn't worry about the flour at all. The cheese and potatos would thicken it enough, imho.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Cheeseburger Soup by Half_Baked (I wouldn't worry abo...)
How about potato starch??
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Cheeseburger Soup by Roxanne 21 (How about potato sta...)
Wow, thanks everybody!

The diet is supposed to be NO flour, but I think maybe 1/4 cup in that whole recipe shouldn't be a big deal, right?

Masa Harina...not sure if that's allowed. I can have cornmeal but not corn flour. What would you consider masa harina?

Potato starch...is that the same as potato flour? And where might one find it?

Maybe I'll make it with flour the first time and then if I make it again, I'll experiment with the other things. Thank you again, everybody!
Tammy
  Re: Re: Cheeseburger Soup by TwilightKitten (Wow, thanks everybod...)
Well now that you mention it, Harina means flour. So that's not gonna work. Sheesh, I hate even thinking about that NO flour NO sugar diet of yours Tammy LOL
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Cheeseburger Soup by farnfam (Well now that you me...)
LOL...yeah, I hate thinking about it too! I won't be on it forever...although it sure does feel like it!
Tammy