Need help trying to copy a recipe
  Re: (...)
Twice now, I have tried to make a red pepper and onion relish like the one from Harry and David. My whole family just loves this stuff especially on turkey sandwiches.

Does anyone have a recipe for something like this? It's sweet and jelled like a jam. I used one from the tabasco sauce website and it's close, but not there yet. Thanks,

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Need help trying to copy a recipe by Mare749 (Twice now, I have tr...)
I googled it - and this site had a recipe someone posted. Have no idea how good it is...Let us know! The recipe is about at the end of the thread.

http://www.recipe-recipes-message-board....orum_id=37
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Need help trying to copy a recipe by esgunn (I googled it - and t...)
Thanks Erin, I never thought to google it! And the recipe sounds a bit closer than the one I just made. It will probably be a few weeks before I make this again, but I will definately post my results. I'm really thrilled to have another recipe to try because the closest Harry & David store is almost an hour away. And at $4 for a small jar, it gets pretty expensive the way we go through it.

This relish is really good mixed with cream cheese and used as a spread on crackers. It's also really good on hamburgers, hot dogs, and sausage sandwiches. The best way to use it is on a toasted bagel with cream cheese, thin sliced turkey breast, and a nice crisp piece of romaine.
Thanks again!

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Need help trying to copy a recipe by Mare749 (Thanks Erin, I never...)
Thanks Erin, that sounds like something to play with.

Maryann, does the one you particularly like have that much tommato in it?? I was real far off base as to what you were looking for, but this one does sound interesting.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Need help trying to copy a recipe by cjs (Thanks Erin, that so...)
Jean, I don't think it does have that much tomato in it, but I'm willing to try the recipe anyway, as we may like it just as well or even better than H&D's. My first two attempts were just okay, not great. But I figure if I stay with it, I'm bound to come up with a pretty good recipe eventually.

One of the things that I noticed is that the vinegar is more prominent in two relishes that I made than in the H&D product, not that it's a bad thing, but it does make it different. Longer cooking may help that. I will gladly take any suggestions.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Need help trying to copy a recipe by Mare749 (Jean, I don't think ...)
We buy their Smokey Hot Pepper and Onion Relish by the case. I use it in scrambled eggs, sandwiches, dips, mix it with cream cheese for a spread....it's just YUM!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy