Maine Lobster
  Re: (...)
First of all - I am a very lucky girl. My hubby is flying home from his trip and they had to refule in Maine. He is bringing me home live Maine lobster for Valentines Day!

I enjoy Lobster but I usually only eat it once, maybe twice a year. He brought me back one once before and it was huge. Much bigger than I thought most Maine lobsters are. He is brining me back 4 lobster - and he doesn't eat lobster. I don't think I can eat four lobster and not be a bit on overload. Any thoughts? My hubby will probably want to give one to his brother, but that is still a lot of fresh, live lobster for me to eat by my lonesome. These may be smaller than the last one he brought, I have no idea. But one tail is usually enough for me. Can I cook and freeze, or freeze raw?

Don't ya feel sorry for me?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Maine Lobster by esgunn (First of all - I am ...)
Why don't you make some raviolis using won ton wrappers. You could also make a lobster bisque and freeze it. What a wonderful problem!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Yes, you can freeze lobster, either cooked or uncooked, I prefer to freeze them uncooked. The quality suffers a bit if cooked and then frozen.

You can freeze them whole, but I prefer to break off the claws and the tail, since that's all I use anyways. Keep them in their shells, and either wrap really well and freeze, or flash freeze, dip in icy water and freeze again.

Either way, defrost in fridge (or under cold running water) and use as soon as possible, quality deteriorates quickly . I'm sure I didn't need to tell you that! but just in case someone just starting to cook didn't know, thought I should add.

Enjoy! I'd be cutting the celery and getting out the hot dog rolls for lobster rolls right now! You know, the seafood store is about 30 seconds from my house, maybe I should stroll over.

PJ

The lobster bisque is a great idea! That way you can use every inch of those bugs! Also, if you freeze the claws and tails separately, and freeze the remainder, you have the makings of a great stock.

Sorry for all the edits, just thought I should note that this will last in the freezer for about 2 or 2.5 months.
PJ
  Re: Re: Maine Lobster by pjcooks (Yes, you can freeze...)
Tough tough problem. I hope you can work your way through it...or eat your way through it.

Here's a lobster salad that I enjoy.

Lobster Salad

1 pound of lobster, in bite sized pieces
2 T lemon juice
3/4 c sliced celery
1/3 c mayonaise
1/4 t salt
2 avocadoss (peeled and halved)
lemon juice

Sprinkle lobster meat with 2 T lemon juice. Add celery, mayo and salt. Add small dash of pepper. Mix lightly. Put in frig til chilled.
Brush avocados with lemon juice and fill with lobster salad.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Maine Lobster by pjcooks (Yes, you can freeze...)
A friend used to bring them up from the East Coast, we tried to freeze them in the water they came in. Lobstercakes!!!! Let me know if you'd you'd like the recipe. Or, split in half, lots of butter, onto the grill! You're making me hungry!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Erin, I'm in Washington, remember????? (no,that's right, we'll be outta here by then...darn, I 'd love to help you.)

I love Lobster Newburg!!!!

Lobster Newburg

6 tablespoons butter
3 cups cooked lobster -- fresh or
canned -- cut into 2-inch pieces
1/3 cup Madeira or dry sherry
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
5 egg yolks
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
6 patty shells -- or 2 to 3 cups of steamed rice, or 8 to 12 buttered toast points
Paprika (optional)

In a large enameled or stainless-steel skillet, melt the butter over moderate heat. When the foam subsides, add the lobster meat and, stirring constantly, cook for about a minute.

Pour in the Madeira or sherry and 1 cup of the heavy cream and, stirring, bring it to a boil.
Reduce the heat to its lowest point and, still stirring, cook for about 2 minutes.

In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks into the remaining 112 cup of cream. Beat into them 4 tablespoons of the simmering lobster sauce, and then, in a slow stream, pour the mixture back into the skillet, stirring constantly.

Cook over moderate heat until the sauce thickens, but under no circumstances let it come to a boil or it will curdle. Season with the salt, cayenne and lemon juice.

Serve immediately in patty shells, on beds of steamed rice, or on hot buttered toast points, and sprinkle the lobster Newburg lightly with paprika if you like.

To serve 4 to 6

Description:
"Time Life Foods of the World Series - American Cooking"
---

Have fun, and what a sweetie your husband is!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Maine Lobster by Half_Baked (Tough tough problem....)
Jan,
Your lobster salad ia pretty close to our local stuff, with the exception of avocado! I never thought of that, I love avocado, will definately try this one

Thanks,

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Maine Lobster by pjcooks (Jan,[br] Your lobst...)
Thanks everyone! What great ideas. I have it so infrequently I always just eat it with lemon and butter. Maybe this time I can experiment some. I'll still be eating it by myself though...

Too bad Jean, you could have swung by on your way out of town! Maybe next time.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Maine Lobster by esgunn (Thanks everyone! Wh...)
I love Newburg, too, Jean. That reminded me of Imperial and I really like this with filets.

Lobster Imperial

Mix lightly and sprinkle with paprika:
2 pounds lobster
1/2 c mayo
2 t capers
1 t wochestershire
1 t salt
6 drops of Tabasco

Divide lobster mix over 6-8 filet mignons or put in ramekins. Sprinkle with paprika.
Bake 20 minutes at 375.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Maine Lobster by Half_Baked (I love Newburg, too,...)
Before I went on a cruise in the Navy some friends asked me what I'd like for my last supper ashore. I said all the lobster I could eat. There were supposed to be six of us for supper, but ended up being only three. We were all sick of lobster by the time we finished eating. But what a way to go huh?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy