Clarifying butter...
  Re: (...)
I'm going to be clarifying butter for today's lobster. Typically, I've used a sauce pan (technically a double boiler) on the stove and separated the foam on top and the milk solids on the bottom from the good stuff. I've heard that others clarify in the oven or the micro - any advantage to those methods? Also, some refrigerate after heating and before separating - any advantage to that?
  Re: Clarifying butter... by Ron (I'm going to be clar...)
I've never done it in the oven. I have in the microwave, and one advantage is that it is quick. I checked a few of my books, and they were very vague. It'll be interesting to see what the others have to say.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
I just put a # in an oven safe sauce pan, and let it do it's thing in a low oven (maybe 275 or so). I keep an eye on it, pull and skim, then chill. Then I can lift off the clarified and discard the rest.

Hope this helps! Micro works well, too, as Lorraine mentioned. When Mike installed his microwave, he put it at a comfortable height for him-he's 6'4", I'm 5'4", so it's a stretch for me.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Clarifying butter... by pjcooks (I just put a # in an...)
I clarified some butter last night in the microwave. I was in a hurry and just poured it through cheesecloth. Came out perfectly clear.
Calliope
  Re: Re: Clarifying butter... by Calliope (I clarified some but...)
How many layers of cheesecloth?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Clarifying butter... by bjcotton (How many layers of c...)
I usually use 2 layers. I've done it with one, but I believe I had to run it through a second time when I did.
Calliope
  Re: Re: Clarifying butter... by Calliope (I usually use 2 laye...)
Thanks lady! I appreciate it.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Since yesterday was a special day I decided I had better do it the way I had in the past because I knew that worked. Not needing much butter for dipping, I put one 1/4# stick in my smallest saucepan and cooked on low heat for about 15 minutes until I had a good separation. I then spooned off the foam at the top, which took a fair amount of time (something of a circus chasing the last of it around the saucepan). I then carefully poured off the clarified so as not to get the bad stuff at the bottom of the pan. I like the cheesecloth idea, but am wondering if anyone has tried this with a strainer. The reason I ask is how do you clean cheesecloth - with other items in washer, by itself, rinse it out or ??? At any rate, I'm going to try one of the expedited methods next time.
  Re: Re: Clarifying butter... by Ron (Since yesterday was ...)
I hope none of you throw the 'sludge' from clarifying away!!!!!!Use the sludge for anything you might want a little flavor, but very little fat.

I've only done it in a pan on the stove top. Melt the butter, skim the impurities off and pour off the liquid gold...and save the sludge.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Clarifying butter... by cjs (I hope none of you t...)
I toss the cheesecloth. I've never reused it. I just cut the size I need, use it and throw it away. I use it for straining broths and after I do, I pull up the sides with the bones and veggies, tie it off and toss it in the garbage. Never thought of washing it.