So what did you make for VD?
  Re: (...)
Make, not do, Billy!

First plan was to cook. Then my helper at work informed me on Mon that she couldn't come in today, I knew I would be late getting home, so planned on eatting out. Then the snow hit, and the University closed for the whole day. What to do now, the PO is out plowing, not really prepared for much, I have the cold rise rolls doing the final rise.

Maybe I'll make the Perfect Pasta'a Wild Mushroom Pappardelle for me. Except it will be fettucine cause that's all I have. I did make his fav choc cream pie, and triple choc brownies, the base for the Java Chip ice cream and Kahlua sauce. Can hot rolls and butter, pie and brownies w/ ice cream and Kahlua pass for a meal? Oh, wait, I forgot his favorite peas. It's complete.

What did you all do?

PJ
PJ
  Re: So what did you make for VD? by pjcooks (Make, not do, Billy!...)
Since I haven't been fortunate enough to receive the Pasta book, how about posting the recipe for me?

Since I am the only one here at home, I haven't prepared anything. Will probably micro a couple of breaded chicken patties [commercial type]. Buddy will have his usual IAMS chicken dog food. Oh yeah, I have to go shopping, he is out of his favorite dog bones!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: So what did you make for VD? by bjcotton (Since I haven't been...)
We had Weiner Schnitzel, spaetzle, broccoli and Pina Colada ice cream over banana bread.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
Sure, Billy, I'll post it after I get the kitchen cleaned up! I got mine right away, maybe the warehouse is close by or something. I do think it came parcel post, that's always slow.

Jan, haven't had that in a long time. Sounds good, do you have a fav recipe or just wing it?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: So what did you make for VD? by pjcooks (Sure, Billy, I'll po...)
I wing the schnitzel -
dip in flour
dip in eggs
dip in flavored breadcrumbs

My spaetzle were bland and I don't know why. I know they are just plain but something was off. I usually add a grate or so of nutmeg and forgot to do that. I used the recipe from the original box because I didn't feel like searching recipes for an hour.

Let's see it was:
2 c flour
1 t salt
3/4 c milk
2 eggs, I think

Maybe I should have added a gravy but we used to eat them plain with butter and enjoy it.

I'll do some research before I make them again. It had been 5 years.
Jan

Re: Re: So what did you make for VD? by Half_Baked (I wing the schnitzel...)
I have three different recipes for Weiner schnitzel. I have never made any of them, but one is from a chef I know. I'll go ahead and post it and you can tell me if you want to see the other two, one is by Emeril and the other is a Pennsylvania Dutch recipe.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Wiener Schnitzel - cheztom

Recipe By :cheztom - C2C
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef-Veal

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
6 medium veal cutlets (loin cut)
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons dried mustard powder
2 large eggs
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs (I use Panko)
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
2 cans tomato puree
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 stalk celery -- chopped
1/2 large onion -- sliced
1 clove
1 clove garlic -- peeled
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1. Pound veal out to 1/4" thickness.
2. Salt and pepper each cutlet and brush with Worcestershire sauce. Sprinkle with dried mustard.
3. Coat veal with flour. Beat eggs and dip veal in egg, then coat with bread crumbs. Chill breaded veal for an hour.
4. Combine tomato puree, celery, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and clove in a pan. Simmer for 20 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh sieve, pushing the vegetable matter through. Return tomato sauce to heat.
5. Saute veal in frying pan with olive oil or butter turning often to evenly brown both sides. Place veal on heated platter and keep warm.
6. Add baking soda to reheated vegetable tomato puree. Add milk and simmer for 5 minutes, then add heavy cream and simmer for 5 more minutes.
7. Serve veal dressed with the finished tomato sauce and garnish with parsley.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Here ya go, Billy.

Wild Mushroom Pappardelle

Toss together, saute in ¼ c olive oil:

1# assorted mushrooms, halved
¼ c all purpose flour

Stir in:

¼ c minced shallots
2 t garlic, minced
2 oz prosciutto, cut into thin strips

Deglaze with; Add:

½ c marsala or dry sherry
1 c beef broth

Cook:

½ # dry pappardelle

Off heat, stir in:

2 T minced fresh parsley
1 T minced fresh thyme
1 T unsalted butter
S&P to taste

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pappardelle.
Toss mushrooms with the flour in a paper or plastic bag to coat.
Transfer to strainer, shake off excess flour. Heat 2T oil in a lg saute over med high. Add half the mushrooms and saute for 3 min or until golden, remove from pan. Heat the remaining 2T oil in the pan and saute remaining mushrooms for 3 min, return the first batch of mushrooms to the pan . Stir in shallots, garlic and prosciutto, saute 3 min.

Deglaze w/marsala and simmer until liquid is nearly evaporated, 2-3 min. Add broth and bring to a simer.

Cook pasta according to pkg directions and drain, then add pasta to mushrooms. Simmer, stirring to coat.

Off heat, stir in Parsley, thyme and butter. Season w/ s&p to taste.

I really enjoyed this, but I threw in a lot of extra mushrooms, as I already had them and really love them. Needed to add more stock, too, because of the extra mushrooms.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: So what did you make for VD? by Half_Baked (I wing the schnitzel...)
Jan, I think spaetzle and nutmeg go hand in hand!
I understand about the searching for a recipe, I'm much better at organizing than I was in the past, but I still haven't conquered it!

PJ

I don't think gravy is necessary at all. I'd rather expend the calories with good old fashioned butter!
PJ
  Re: Re: So what did you make for VD? by bjcotton (I have three differe...)
Thanks, Billy, copied & printed. Since you've never made it, maybe it should become the next dinner?

What say you all? (Sorry, I'm watching Boston Legal)

PJ

Re: Re: So what did you make for VD? by pjcooks (Thanks, Billy, copie...)
BJ, that is a wonderful Schnitzel recipe. I've never made one that had so many ingredients. Lol, Billy, I trust Tom's recipe over Emeril or the PA Dutch!

As for my spatzle, I'm going to fry it in some more butter and grate some nutmeg and salt on it. If that doesn't make delicious, I'll drizzle it with my best evoo.
Jan