Need a quick answer...
  Re: (...)
I was in the process of making a seafood chowder for this evening. My refer has been a little erratic lately and when I took out the heavy cream it was frozen (not hard as a rock, but crystallized). Can I let it thaw and use it, or should I dump it? If dump, I already rendered bacon and added onions and celery and have a couple pounds of shrimp out on the counter - what else could I make with what I have?
  Re: Need a quick answer... by Ron (I was in the process...)
I have frozen heavy cream with success. It may separate a bit on thawing, just whisk it back together. You wouldn't be able to whip it, but I've used it in soups. Good luck!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Need a quick answer... by Lorraine (I have frozen heavy ...)
I have too, Ron, it will be fine. Doesn't chowder sound so good on a cold day? That's what I'm working on for dinner too, only mine is a corn chowder that my mom used to make. We had this major snowstorm here and it's been really cold here for weeks.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Need a quick answer... by Mare749 (I have too, Ron, it ...)
Thanks Lorraine and Maryann. I have it out on the counter and am letting it defrost at its own pace even if we have to have dinner a bit late tonight.
  Re: Re: Need a quick answer... by Ron (Thanks Lorraine and ...)
I waited until it defrosted and used it with no problems - couldn't tell it had been frozen.
  Re: Re: Need a quick answer... by Ron (I waited until it de...)
That's good to know.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Need a quick answer... by Half_Baked (That's good to know....)
Now all we need is the chowdah recipe!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Need a quick answer... by Lorraine (Now all we need is t...)
It was the CAH Seafood Chowder, but the only clams I can get here are canned. No mussels either so I doubled the amount of shrimp. Also, I cook diced celery in the bacon grease in addition to the onion. Quite a few deviations there but we really like it and have it several times during the winter.

Seafood Chowder
(Cuisine, December 2000, Issue 24, p. 25)
Makes: Eight 8–oz. Servings Total Time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes Rating: Intermediate

For the Clam Broth—
Combine, Simmer, and Strain:
5 lbs. clams in shells, scrubbed
3 cups cold water

For the Chowder Base—
Cook until Crisp; Strain:
1 lb. thick-sliced bacon, chopped

Sweat in 1/3 Cup Bacon Drippings:
1 1/2 cups yellow onion, diced

Add:
1/2 t. black peppercorns, cracked

Stir in:
1/3 cup all-purpose flour

Whisk in; Simmer:
5 cups reserved clam broth
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup reserved cooked bacon

To Finish the Chowder, Prepare:
24 green-lipped mussels
24 extra large (16–20 count) shrimp
1 lb. fish, cut into 1" chunks
4 cups Yukon gold potatoes, peeled, cubed, and cooked

Garnish with:
Fresh thyme and remaining cooked bacon

Scrub the clams with a stiff brush to remove grit.

Combine clams in a stockpot with cold water. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 6–8 minutes. All the clams should have opened after steaming, but discard any that aren’t (they’re probably not the best to eat). Search for any unopened clams with tongs—the shells are very hot! Remove the clam meat with a fork or by hand, then cool. Place the meat in a resealable plastic bag and refrigerate until you’re ready to make the chowder. Discard the shells.Strain the broth through a strainer lined with a paper coffee filter (the clams may’ve released a little sand during simmering). Cool broth, then chill until you make the chowder base.

Cook bacon in a stockpot coated with nonstick spray over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Strain; reserve bacon and fat.

Sweat onion by adding 1/3 cup drippings back to stockpot. Reduce heat to medium-low and add onion. Cover and sweat about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent browning.

Add cracked peppercorns. Continue sweating the onions until they’re translucent, about 5 minutes.

Stir in flour and cook 2–3 minutes to remove all the starchy taste. Be sure to stir constantly to prevent scorching.

Whisk in clam broth, 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Add cream and 1/4 cup bacon pieces (reserve the rest for garnish). Simmer base 10 minutes; cool and chill.

To finish the chowder, prepare a saute pan over low heat, reheat the chowder. Add cooked potatoes and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. Add the prepared sea-food and bring chowder back to a simmer; cook five minutes longer. Stir occasionally so all seafood cooks evenly.

Garnish with thyme and remaining cooked bacon.
  Re: Re: Need a quick answer... by Ron (It was the CAH Seafo...)
I love getting these old C@H recipes, thanks Ron.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Need a quick answer... by Ron (It was the CAH Seafo...)
Not to push your buttons Ron, but I get my clams cleaned, ground [or whole if I want], frozen in 1 quart ziplock bags
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy