Salmonella alert...
  Re: (...)
Just heard on the news that there is salmonella contamination in some Peter Pan and Great Value (Walmart) peanut butter. So far the contamination has been restricted to code 2111, but there is no assurance it won't go further. Over three hundred cases so far, so be careful!
  Re: Salmonella alert... by Ron (Just heard on the ne...)
Thanks Ron, I'm going to check mine right now. DH loves Peter Pan Creamy and I know we've got extras around here.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Salmonella alert... by Mare749 (Thanks Ron, I'm goin...)
Just heard on another newscast (NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams) that outbreaks have been in 39 states, so it's just not an isolated situation. The 2111 was the first four digits of the code they showed. The code was on the cap, but don't know if that's the case in all situations.
  Re: Re: Salmonella alert... by Ron (Just heard on anothe...)
I have two jars with the code 2111 as the first four numbers, one of them is half gone, so I'm assuming we lucked out with that one. Don't think we'll chance it with the rest though.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Salmonella alert... by Mare749 (I have two jars with...)
Quote:

I have two jars with the code 2111 as the first four numbers, one of them is half gone, so I'm assuming we lucked out with that one. Don't think we'll chance it with the rest though.

Wow! Hope you dodged the bullet, but if you start feeling gimpy, you might want to consult a doctor. Definitely don't eat any more! They didn't say the whole batch code was bad, but that is where the problems have been concentrated so far. Heard on a third newscast that we have already had several cases here in MN - sounds like it is very widespread.
  Re: Re: Salmonella alert... by Ron ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thursday, February 15, 2007
Local markets pull Peter Pan peanut butter
Stop & Shop and Shaw's, two of New England's largest grocery chains, said today that they responded to reports of a salmonella outbreak by ordering their stores to pull all Peter Pan peanut butter off their shelves.

ConAgra Foods Inc. of Nebraska touched off national concern when it disclosed that certain jars of its Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter had been linked to an outbreak of salmonella that has sickened people in 39 states, the Associated Press reported.

ConAgra indicated that the outbreak was tied to jars whose lids bear a product code beginning with 2111, the AP reported.

Stop & Shop Supermarket Co. said that to its knowledge, no tainted peanut butter had been found in its stores, but as a precaution, company officials today ordered all Peter Pan peanut butter to be removed from store shelves, company spokesman Robert Keane said.

The chain has also programmed its cash registers to issue an alert in the event that a Peter Pan peanut butter jar had somehow eluded the recall and a customer showed up with it at a checkout line, Keane said; if such a jar were to be swiped over the scanner, the store employee at the cash register would be alerted that the product was not for sale.

Stop & Shop does not carry Great Value, another peanut butter brand linked to the salmonella outbreak, Keane said.

Based in Quincy, Stop & Shop operates 385 supermarkets in the Northeast, including about 120 in Massachusetts.

Meanwhile, Shaw's Supermarkets Inc., a New England chain based in West Bridgewater, said its 210 stores were instructed to immediately remove all Peter Pan peanut butter from store shelves, spokeswoman Judy Chong said.

Any customer who has recently purchased Peter Pan butter at a Shaw's can return it for a full refund or exchange it for a comparable product, Chong said.
(By Chris Reidy, Globe staff)

Posted by Boston Globe Business Team at 03:36 PM
  Re: Re: Salmonella alert... by Ron (Thursday, February 1...)
P.O.'d at your significant other? Consider a chicken and peanut butter spinach wrap!
  Re: Re: Salmonella alert... by Ron (P.O.'d at your signi...)
PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Salmonella alert... by Mare749 (I have two jars with...)
We had one jar that was half empty with the 2111 code. I don't think I ever gave any to the kids though. I think it is a jar my Dh takes on trips with him. He always takes a loaf of bread, homemade jam and Peanut Butter for PBJ's. Their schedules are so crazy, it is always good to have some food.

You are supposed to throw the peanut butter away, save the lid and mail it to ConAgra foods and they will reimburse you.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Salmonella alert... by esgunn (We had one jar that ...)
Thank goodness ours wasn't 2111 either! We go through a lot of peanut butter, too.

About being odd...Mr HB loves a peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich with his spaghetti.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.