My cast iron
  Re: (...)
I'm really loving it! Last night I made hash browns and they came out perfectly. My gas grill ran out of fuel after the pork chops were on it for about 10 seconds so I brought them in and fried them in the same skillet. They were so good with that crispy searing.

Now I need to get one of the flat irons that rest on top of the meat in the skillet. Amazon here I come.

...and I want the grill pan.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: My cast iron by Half_Baked (I'm really loving it...)
When I cook on mine I think of my grandmother. She washed clothes on a washboard, ran them through a hand ringer and hung them on an outside clothes line, even in winter. She cooked everything on a wood stove with a large, extremely old cast iron skillet that seemed about half as big as her. Never had much but had a heart of gold and would give you anything she had. Egads, I'm starting to sound like Christopher Kimball (CI and ATK)!
  Re: Re: My cast iron by Ron (When I cook on mine ...)
Before my mom got sick, I remember a lot of parties on the weekends. All this occurred before I was 5 so it really is a great memory.

Fridays - my dad invited his bachelor friends over for steaks fried in cast iron and homemade french fries.

Saturdays always seemed like they were frying fish in the skillet and steaming shrimp for company. It was also used for frying quail and making quail pie if my dad had been hunting.

Sundays after church lots of people would come over and my mom would fry up tons of chicken. Everyone would bring over a covered dish of some kind.

Really good memories of family...and cast iron.
Jan

Re: Re: My cast iron by Half_Baked (Before my mom got si...)
It was rabbits, squirrels and pheasants for my mother and her brothers. All the brothers were good shots because bullets cost money and they couldn't afford to miss. Seven kids in a small house and they all came out great. Today a couple wants to upgrade because they only have 5000sf for them and their drug-addicted kid. I'm getting too grouchy - best I go to town.
  Re: Re: My cast iron by Ron (It was rabbits, squi...)
"She washed clothes on a washboard, ran them through a hand ringer and hung them on an outside clothes line, even in winter. She cooked everything on a wood stove with a large, extremely old cast iron skillet "
"Seven kids in a small house and they all came out great"

Ron, for me, that was my mother. Are you my long lost half brother???
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: My cast iron by Ron (It was rabbits, squi...)
"need to get one of the flat irons that rest on top of the meat" - Jan, why would you want that?????

Oh boy, did I grow up on fried rabbit and gravy Mom used to make in the Cast Iron....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My cast iron by Lorraine ("She washed clothes ...)
That anecdote brings back tons of memories for me too, Ron. That was my grandmother to the letter!!!! I would be right next to her hanging the clothes in the dead of New Hampshire winter!!! Those were the days!!!! And those Saturday night baked beans with homemade bread---YUMMMMM!!!!

We had six kids---we have turned out okay too!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: My cast iron by Roxanne 21 (That anecdote brings...)
Sorry to unload about the yuppies and the drug-addicted kid. I had just found out that a friend's ice fishing house had been vandalized. He doesn't make a lot of money and fishing is his major source of entertainment. The police are tired of catching these punks because we have a lenient judge up here who lets them off with a slap on the wrist anyway.

Well, I did go to town and picked up the last two items I needed to make the Chicken Carbonara. While there, I found out that a goup of people are going to pitch in and repair the vandalism to my friend's ice fishing house. As Harry's father used to say on Night Court "I feel MUCH better now."
  Re: Re: My cast iron by cjs ("need to get one of ...)
Ron, vandalism by bored teenagers just makes me want to spit nails. I'm so glad you live in a caring area that helped fix him up.

Quote:

"need to get one of the flat irons that rest on top of the meat" - Jan, why would you want that?????

Oh boy, did I grow up on fried rabbit and gravy Mom used to make in the Cast Iron....

My pork chops were curling up in the pan and I thought that iron would hold them down so they would be flat and cook evenly.

I forgot about fried rabbit. That's the only way my parents made it. Gravy was on everything, from breakfast ---> dinner.
Jan

Re: Re: My cast iron by Half_Baked (Ron, vandalism by bo...)
"My pork chops were curling up in the pan and I thought that iron would hold them down so they would be flat and cook evenly."

If you make verical slits every inch or two around the perimeter they won't curl (or at least will curl a lot less).