The Bread Bible
  Re: (...)
by Rose Levy Beranbaum. Another recommend by the Chef Jean book club. What an amazing book this is, probably the best one I've had lately. It's a $35 book (that's U.S.) so I got it out of the library for now, but I'm sure having a hard time taking it back. Just might have to renew it a few times. Now I know why it took me so long to get it, the last guy had it out forever. Anybody who bakes bread might want to check this out.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: The Bread Bible by Mare749 (by Rose Levy Beranba...)
Oh, are you goin' have fun now, lady!! A little break from the 18-hour bread??

Speaking of the 18-hour bread, we're at Kelly and Brent's and Brent was talking about Calzone; now, we're all going camping (they'll be camping, the olderlies be in the trailer...) in July, so I mentioned making calzone for him then. We progressed from him - naw, you can't make calzone camping, to me thinking - hey, the 18-hour method of baking. Why not heat that dutch oven up in the fire and put the calzone in it?????? So, we're going to try it, should be fun.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: The Bread Bible by Mare749 (by Rose Levy Beranba...)
Maryann, it's $23.10 at Amazon. You'd need to spend a bit more to get over $25 to qualify for free shipping, but think of all the gas you'd save not having to go back and forth to the library.
  Re: Re: The Bread Bible by Ron (Maryann, it's $23.10...)
Thanks Ron, I forgot to check Amazon.

Jean, my family loves calzones and I have made them but always used frozen bread dough to do it. Your idea sounds like a good plan to me. I'll probably try it very soon, and will post my results. As for an outdoor fire, well, I won't be doing that one!

One of the ideas that appealed to me in the Bread Bible is a focaccia layered with fresh herbs. My little tabletop greenhouse is coming along nicely considering how little sun we have in the winter. In less than a month, the plants have several leaves on them already.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: The Bread Bible by Mare749 (Thanks Ron, I forgot...)
I trust you know that she is on PBS. 11a.m. Saturday morning here in the north country.
  Re: Re: The Bread Bible by Ron (I trust you know tha...)
Quote:

I trust you know that she is on PBS. 11a.m. Saturday morning here in the north country.

No, I didn't know that, Ron. I wonder if we would have the same shows on this side of the country? I'll have to look into that. Haven't watched much PBS lately, looks like I'm missing things.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: The Bread Bible by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I don't know what Sherrie did with the TV Guide, but I'm sure it is just called "Baking." I'll post again if that isn't it.
  Re: Re: The Bread Bible by Ron (I don't know what Sh...)
It was "Baking" in the TV Guide, but "Baking Magic" when the show came on. Today she made a Studmuffin - honest!
  Re: Re: The Bread Bible by Ron (It was "Baking" in t...)
Oh my, now I have to watch the show for sure! Thanks Ron!

Maryann
Maryann