Cast Iron Horror Story
  Re: (...)
Ok, here's what happened. I bought a beautiful (to me, anyway) pre-seasoned Lodge 5 quart Dutch oven about a year or two ago. I'd been using it quite often for soups, chilis, pot roasts...you know, the things you would normally use in cast iron dutch ovens. I left it on the stove-top because I used it fairly often, it's heavy and there isn't much room left in my cabinets.

Well, my husband decided he wanted to play with it too and made some bacon it in to further season it. That's all fine as long as he cleans it afterward. Well, we were having people over one day and he took all my cast iron off the stove and put it away. With me, it's pretty much out of sight, out of mind so I didn't use the pot for a little while (a couple of months, maybe).

So one day I need a dutch oven...and I remember that I have a great cast iron one "in storage"....so I go fetch it...and of course my darling husband has stored it with the lid tightly on , which I have told him a thousand times not to do because the lid traps moisture and the pot will rust. So, I cringe as I take off the lid...the cringe turns to gag as I realize there is a half an inch of rancid bacon grease in the bottom of the pot. Ugh!!!

I cleaned it as best as I could...I even used soap in a desperate attempt to remove the rancid stench. It didn't work. I finally realized that I was going to have to strip all the old seasoning and start from scratch. Ugh again! I finally made myself do it yesterday...I removed the old seasoning, but now it's all brownish---looks rusty but it was scrubbed and dried...I even brushed with a wire brush (lol..actually I got my husband to do that part!)...and still it looks brown. I haven't reseasoned yet, so I'm hoping that will take care of the brown stuff whatever it is. I'm about ready to give up on it and buy a Le Creuset or something enameled...but I'm terrified my husband will ruin it. I love him to death but gentle on cooking equipment he is not! I don't want to spend $250 on a pot for him to chip the enamel or something.

Well, thanks all, for letting me get that off my chest!
Tammy
  Re: Cast Iron Horror Story by TwilightKitten (Ok, here's what happ...)
Ouch! Before you throw in the towell, I would check with the people at Lodge. I contacted them once with a question in the past and they were very responsive. info@lodgemfg.com
  Re: Re: Cast Iron Horror Story by Ron (Ouch! Before you thr...)
Yikes, I learned from your tale of woe. Just got back from taking the lid off my chicken fryer.

I had no idea that the lids shouldn't be on the pan, while storing. Thank you!

Good luck with getting a suggestion from Lodge.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Cast Iron Horror Story by Half_Baked (Yikes, I learned fro...)
Quote:

Just got back from taking the lid off my chicken fryer.

How many pieces do you get in your chicken fryer? I've been using my 12" skillet, but wish it was a bit deeper.
Quote:

I'm about ready to give up on it and buy a Le Creuset or something enameled...but I'm terrified my husband will ruin it. I love him to death but gentle on cooking equipment he is not! I don't want to spend $250 on a pot for him to chip the enamel or something.

I have a LeCreuset and it is an excellent piece of cookware, but if you are apprehensive about the hubby, you can get a 7 qt Lodge enameled cast iron at Amazon for $119.99. Some people don't like the colors and others don't like the stylized handle on the top, but it is extremely heavy so if hubby screws up again you can hit him with it.
  Re: Re: Cast Iron Horror Story by Ron ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

but it is extremely heavy so if hubby screws up again you can hit him with it.

LMBO...Ron, I was chewing on a carrot while I read this and darn near choked on it! Thank you for all the advice.

Jan, I am so glad that my disaster helped saved you from one. At least something good came from it...that and now I get a fancy enameled pot.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Cast Iron Horror Story by Ron ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

[blockquote]Quote:

Just got back from taking the lid off my chicken fryer.

How many pieces do you get in your chicken fryer? I've been using my 12" skillet, but wish it was a bit deeper.

[/blockquote]

It came with the pan (10") and a lid. If you buy one, I suggest the 12" fryer because the bottom will be 10", instead of my 8".

Ron - "Some people don't like the colors and others don't like the stylized handle on the top, but it is extremely heavy so if hubby screws up again you can hit him with it."
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
If your Dutch oven no longer smells rancid, then you should be okay to go ahead and re-season it.

The easiest way I have found to completely strip the seasoning off a piece of cast iron is to run it through the self-cleaning cycle of the kitchen oven. This method takes the iron down to bare metal. Once it's completely cool, wash it well with hot water, then dry thoroughly. Be ready to season it immediately, otherwise it will begin to rust before your eyes.

Outdoor Dutch oven cooking is one of our hobbies (we even do cooking demonstrations), and I've done this to a few pieces over the years with great success.

As for Lodge's enamel cast iron, last October they came out with a new line called Lodge Color that is more moderately priced than their first line. I have the 6-quart, which I was lucky enough to get at a promotional price of $49, and I've been very happy with it.
  Re: Re: Cast Iron Horror Story by Sage (If your Dutch oven n...)
That's exactly what I did to get all the old seasoning off. And since I didn't re-season it right away, I suppose that the brown I'm seeing is the "rusting before my eyes" thing. I was so hoping that wasn't rust. Thank you for the advice! I'll check out the Lodge...lucky you to get it at such a great price!
Tammy
  Re: Re: Cast Iron Horror Story by TwilightKitten (That's exactly what ...)
The last time I looked at the Lodge Color series they only had one - a 3 quarter.
EDITED TO ADD: I just checked and that is still the only one they are showing. Maybe the web site isn't up to date.