Recipe review
  Re: (...)
I know many of you haven't recieved the newest issue yet but I just have to tell you all about the recipe that I tried tonight!

Let me preface this by saying, I am not a seafood eater. But since today is the first Friday of Lent, I made the crunchy Fish Tacos with Apple Slaw and lemony tartar sauce. They were delicious! The apple slaw had a little bit of heat from the japaleno pepper and was a really nice contrast to the warm, crunchy fish. The tartar sauce also added a little heat from the horseradish. I didn't have any capers (and I forgot to get them at the store) so I didn't add those to the tartar but it was really delicious anyway.

Oh, I also made the Coconut Mango Rice that is on the same page. Really nice flavors from the rice too. Cilantro, mango, coconut milk......how can you go wrong?

We really enjoyed this meal. And although the kids didn't appreciate the spicyness of the slaw or the subtle flavor of the rice, they loved the fish and anytime I can get them to eat fish is good to me! I highly recommend all of the recipes on this page!
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]
  Re: Recipe review by mlucas1 (I know many of you h...)
Meg, I just can't get my mind around a fish taco no matter how many times people tell me it's wonderful...just can't do it!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Recipe review by bjcotton (Meg, I just can't ge...)
Well, I'm excited to try it and the slaw sounds so good. The tacos caught my attention as soon as I flipped through the magazine.

Coconut and mango are 2 of my favorite flavors but I don't know if I'd serve the rice with the tacos.

How did it match up, Meg? I can't make it until mangos are in season, anyway.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Recipe review by Half_Baked (Well, I'm excited to...)
This looks like a good recipe to me. Thanks for the review Meg, I'll be trying this one soon!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Recipe review by Half_Baked (Well, I'm excited to...)
I have to say we really enjoyed the flavors of the rice and the tacos together. I would recommend making the rice! Speaking of mangoes though, how the heck do you get the pit out??? Oh my gosh, I cut around it thinking I could pit it like an avacado but no go. If anyone has any insight, please let me know!
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]
  Re: Re: Recipe review by mlucas1 (I have to say we rea...)
I think this is one of the fruits one has to cut close to the bone. Cut the cheeks off, and then the narrower bits left.
  Re: Re: Recipe review by vannin (I think this is one ...)
LOVE FISH TACOS!!

Meg, there are two ways to remove the meat from a mango - either stand upright and slice down either side of the flat pit and then just follow the pit line to get the edge meat off. You can do this before or after peeling.

or borrow Sharon's handy-dandy, super mango pitt remover!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com