Wild Rice
  Re: (...)
Do you all have a favorite brand of wild rice you like? I Have come across a couple of recipes lately that call for wild rice and I am not very familiar with it.

The recipes I am thinking of use cooked wild rice in a wild and brown rice casserol and in chicken and wild rice soup.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Wild Rice by esgunn (Do you all have a fa...)
I buy my grains and many other things from bulkfoods. Here's the wild rice that I order....the 3rd one down, not 25#

http://www.bulkfoods.com/search_results....arch=fromSearch
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
Wild rice is Minnesotat's state grain. It is harvested primarily by Indians on reservation land. Some brands never make it beyond the local market, but Indian Harvest is one of the larger companies and its products are available outside this geographic area and are even available on Amazon. Most any Minnesota wild rice you can find will be good, but I have the good forturne of getting mine from a friend who hand picks a small amount each year and I love the stuff, particularly in the uses you mentioned.
  Re: Re: Wild Rice by Ron (Wild rice is Minneso...)
" Some brands never make it beyond the local market "

Too true. I still get mine from friends in Thompson, Manitoba. It's all harvested by the natives. It comes in bags, no labels or anything else. I'll look for some of my recipes. I love the stuff!!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Wild Rice by Lorraine (" Some brands never ...)
" I am thinking of use cooked wild rice in a wild and brown rice casserol and in chicken and wild rice soup."

...and the recipes will be forth coming after trying them right? We love wild rice also - and we love the flavor adding toasted pine nuts gives to it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Erin, be sure to check the label when you buy your wild rice. Typically it takes a lot longer to cook than white rice. It runs about 45 minutes for me, but times vary depending on harvest method and processing.