Sweet 'n Sour Cabbage with maple, bacon, and lemon
  Re: (...)
This sounds so good I just had to post it for anyone who wants it.

Saute: Whisk in; Deglaze with:
4 strips thick bacon, diced
1 t. all purpose flour
2/3 cup dry white wine
2/3 cup apple juice
2 T. apple cider vinegar
2 T. pure maple syrup
2 T. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes

Pour over; Finish with:
1 bag coleslaw mix
1 cup red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
reserved bacon, salt and lemon juice to taste

Saute bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels, pour off all but 1 T. drippings. Whisk in flour; deglaze with wine.
Add next 5 ingredients and simmer until syrupy, 5 minutes.
Pour hot mixture over coleslaw and onion in a bowl;toss. Finish with remaining ingredients.

Doesn't this sound good?

Oops! I forgot again! This recipe is from Cooking at Home magazine, Issue No. 62.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Sweet 'n Sour Cabbage with maple, bacon, and lemon by Mare749 (This sounds so good ...)
This is a keeper that's going right into MC. Thank you!
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Sweet 'n Sour Cabbage with maple, bacon, and lemon by Mare749 (This sounds so good ...)
That does sound tastey, Maryann!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
An absolute keeper, for sure.

I think this will become my default slaw.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Sweet 'n Sour Cabbage with maple, bacon, and lemon by pjcooks (An absolute keeper, ...)
This sounds as if it would be a very good stuffing for zucchini boats. Perhaps I could stick two halves together with mashed hard cooked eggs and a bit of mayo. Big surprise.
  Re: Re: Sweet 'n Sour Cabbage with maple, bacon, and lemon by vannin (This sounds as if it...)
I just wanted to follow up with a few words about this. In my first review I said that it was okay, but not sweet enough for my taste. So, I sweetened it up a little bit and it was better. Well, two days later, wow! is it good.
Next time I'm just going to make this a day ahead. (I'll still sweeten it a bit)

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sweet 'n Sour Cabbage with maple, bacon, and lemon by Mare749 (I just wanted to fol...)
good to know - funny how some dishes just taste better a day or so later, all the flavors meld together.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sweet 'n Sour Cabbage with maple, bacon, and lemon by cjs (good to know - funny...)
Thanks Maryann. I was kind of looking at this with a jaundiced eye until I read your review. Now I've copied it into MC.

If you want a sweet, creamy, spicy cole slaw, let me know. I've got a Jamaican slaw that is wonderful!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Sweet 'n Sour Cabbage with maple, bacon, and lemon by Mare749 (I just wanted to fol...)
Maryann,

I made this with maple bacon, which I always have on hand for the Picky One, and it was just enough extra sweetness for me. I agree, a little extra sweetness doesn't hurt!

(Can you tell my early childhood experience w/coleslaw was KFC?)

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Sweet 'n Sour Cabbage with maple, bacon, and lemon by bjcotton (Thanks Maryann. I w...)
Billy, I'd like your recipe, if you don't mind. Cabbage and sweet just go hand in hand to me. Thank you!

PJ
PJ