Harvesting herbs today!
  Re: (...)
It's only been 4 weeks and I picked about two cups of basil and about 1/2 cup of sage today from my tiny tabletop greenhouse.

The only maintenance all month was today when I had to flush the growing bed with a gallon of water to wash away the excess salt buildup, then refill the feeding reservoir, trim the herbs, and I'm good to go for another month. I should be able to pick herbs as I need them now to get me by until around Mother's Day when I can put them in the ground outside.

This has been a wonderful winter project for me since I can't grow anything. The herbs are so fragrant they make you smile!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Harvesting herbs today! by Mare749 (It's only been 4 wee...)
good for you Maryann, what a truly nice project.
I am so jealous!

I have rosemary growing wonderfully but everything else I've done died

They last just enough for me to get one small clipping off and then poof no more.

What a fun project and the smells must be wonderful Nothing beats fresh herbs.
  Re: Re: Harvesting herbs today! by DFen911 (I am so jealous![br]...)
You certainly received a thoughtful gift and it's nice that all the family are now reaping the benefits!

I know your house smells wonderful.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
Maryann, I think I missed your original post. What kind of tabletop greenhouse? Is ours one of those AeroGro (I think that's what they are called) units?

I am so jealous! I brought my rosemary plant in last fall, and it's doing fine in the living room, and I actually have cilantro growing outside in the coldframe, but I want fresh basil (without paying $2.99 for a couple of leaves in a little plastic case...)!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Harvesting herbs today! by foodfiend (Maryann, I think I m...)
No Vicci, it's not an Aero Garden, but I sure would love to have one. This little unit came from UMI, Inc. in Westlake Village, CA. The UMI stands for Uncle Milton, the ant farm guy.

Anyway, I found a website that has two units. The one I have is now $49.99. Wow! I'm sure glad I didn't have to buy it! Mine came out of my FIL's basement and who knows where he got it. There is a smaller unit that's less. If you are interested, here is the website. Have fun shopping.
Maryann

http://www.littlesmarties.com/uncle-milton.html
Maryann

Re: Re: Harvesting herbs today! by Mare749 (No Vicci, it's not a...)
Maryann, are the units reusable?? I may look into that just for basil in the winter months at home - plus I could take with us in the trailer.....hmmmm, great gadget!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Harvesting herbs today! by cjs (Maryann, are the uni...)
Yes, the units are reuseable, the growing medium (gravel) can be rinsed, and the nutrient mix which looks an awful lot like Miracle Gro will last for quite a while. The smaller unit can be purchased from target.com for $19.99, less than on the first website.

I'm going to look for a book on hydroponic gardening at the library. There has to be a cheaper way of getting started. I would think the right pot with a plastic cup over the top would work.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Harvesting herbs today! by Mare749 (Yes, the units are r...)
Thanks for the link, Maryann. These are more reasonablly priced than the Aero unit, but perfect if you (like me) just want the basics.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com