Fish Tacos--current issue
  Re: (...)
We did the tacos Sunday--my first experience with them --very good!! We had no sweet relish in the house for tartar sauce so we substituted a remoloude (sp?). Everyone should try these--it's sort of a low calorie US version of "fish and chips"
P.S. Next time I will add more jalapeno and hot sauce.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Fish Tacos--current issue by Old Bay (We did the tacos Sun...)
Thanks for the review, Bill. I thought those sounded good too. Probably this Friday since it's Lent and we're eating fish more.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Fish Tacos--current issue by Mare749 (Thanks for the revie...)
Fish tacos.....one of my favorites!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fish Tacos--current issue by cjs (Fish tacos.....one o...)
I love fish tacos! Whenever we go the the Elephant Bar I have a hard time cause they are soooooo good there, and there's a whole huge menu to work my way through! Bob looks at me like I'm a nut case for ordering them - I'll have to try making them as soon as we get in the house!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Can you post the recipe for the fish tacos? I gave my current issue to my daughter to look at and she can't find it now.
  Re: Re: Fish Tacos--current issue by Hec (Can you post the rec...)
I live in "fish-taco" country (San Diego). We used to go down to San Felipe, Mexico in Baja for spring break in college, and they sold fish tacos down there from carts that were fabulous! There was a guy named Ralph Rubio who took the idea and started the very first fish taco restaurant, which is now a large chain called Rubios Fresh Mex. That all started in the early 80's! Wish I would have had the same idea!!

We LOVE fish tacos, burritos etc. around here. I don't have the mag's current recipe for fish tacos, but I do have a few tried and true favorites to share:

BEER BATTERED FISH TACOS WITH BAJA SAUCE
http://www.recipesandentertaining.com/Ma...F%20HOME%20PAGE

INSIDE-OUT FISH TACOS

SALMON TACOS WITH FRESH MANGO SALSA

CEVICHE STYLE SHRIMP & AVOCADO TACOS
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"
While we're talking fish tacos...

These were the first I ever tried and for a couple of years I wasn't even tempted to use another recipe. The tilapia is tender and crusted with cumin and flour, the salsa is tangy, and you must use the avocado and the onions! When I don't have fresh tomatillos, I use Target's Archer farms brand of salsa verde.

Fish Tacos with Tomatillo Salsa

A simple tomatillo salsa brightens these soft tacos. Use a commercial variety such as Herdez, if you're in a rush.

Tomatillo Salsa:
8 tomatillos, halved (about 3/4 pound)
1 onion, peeled and quartered
Cooking spray
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 chopped seeded jalapeño pepper

Tacos:
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1 1/2 pounds tilapia fillets, cut into 24 pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
3/4 cup diced peeled avocado

Prepare broiler.

To prepare salsa, remove husks and stems from tomatillos. Place tomatillos and onion, cut sides down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Broil 10 minutes or until tomatillos begin to blacken. Place tomatillos, onion, 1/2 cup cilantro, and next 4 ingredients (1/2 cup cilantro through jalapeño) in a food processor; process until pureed. Pour salsa into a bowl; cool completely.

Preheat oven to 350°.

To prepare tacos, wrap tortillas in foil; bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated; keep warm.

Sprinkle fish with 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, flour, and cumin in a medium bowl; dredge fish in flour mixture.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, and add fish. Cook 2 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Place 2 pieces of fish down center of each tortilla; top each taco with 2 teaspoons cilantro, 1 tablespoon onion, and 1 tablespoon avocado. Fold tacos in half; serve with salsa.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 tacos and about 1/3 cup salsa)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 327(28% from fat); FAT 10.3g (sat 1.8g,mono 4.8g,poly 2.3g); PROTEIN 23.6g; CHOLESTEROL 66mg; CALCIUM 131mg; SODIUM 355mg; FIBER 5.8g; IRON 2.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 37.2g

THEN

I found this recipe card at Whole Foods and tried it. Now I have 2 favorite fish taco recipes! The coleslaw adds a very nice crunch to the finished taco. I used red snapper.

Fish Tacos with Cilantro Slaw

Serving Size : 4

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
---------- ---------- ------------ ------------------------
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
4 whole sea bass fillets
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
8 whole corn tortilla
2 cups shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 teaspoon minced jalapeno pepper
1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds -- toasted, ground
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tomato cut into thin wedges

Sprinkle one tablespoon lime juice over the fish, then sprinkle with seasoned salt. Coat with cooking spray. Place on a grill over hot coals. Grill for 4 minutes per side or until fish flakes easily. Wrap tortillas in foil and place at the back of the grill until heated through.

Combine the cabbage, 1 tablespoon lime juice, cilantro, green onions, chile, mayonnaise, cumin seeds, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl and mix well. Stir tomato in gently.

Cut each fish fillet into 8 pieces. Place a piece of fish in each tortilla. Spoon slaw over and roll up.

Source:
"Whole Foods"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 260 Calories (kcal); 5g Total Fat; (17% calories from fat); 27g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 54mg Cholesterol; 669mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : Other fish fillets can be subbed for sea bass-- snapper, roughy, tilapia are a few. Avoid strong flavored fish such as salmon or mackerel.

Cut fish before grilling and skewer to make grilling easier.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Fish Tacos--current issue by foodfiend (While we're talking ...)
Oh Yeah... these look fantastic too! Thanks for sharing...

We're big on fish tacos... in fact, went to "Wahoo's Fish Taco Restaurant" for lunch today! They're big around here!
Lori

Re: Re: Fish Tacos--current issue by SDRecipeGirl (Oh Yeah... these loo...)
Have fish tacos become mainstream in any other part of the country? They're so common here in Southern CA, but when I visit my mother in Nevada, she sees them on a menu and can't imagine eating them!
Lori

Re: Re: Fish Tacos--current issue by SDRecipeGirl (Have fish tacos beco...)
Quote:

Have fish tacos become mainstream in any other part of the country? They're so common here in Southern CA, but when I visit my mother in Nevada, she sees them on a menu and can't imagine eating them!

I wouldn't say "mainstream", especially here in Pittsburgh where new food ideas tend to take a while to become established, but I only tried these because they were featured in a magazine. In fact, DH at first pulled a face and grimaced (FISH tacos? ewwwww!) but he loves them now.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com