3 Tbls olive oil, divided
1/3 cup chopped shallots
1 anchovey fillet, chopped
1/2 tsp chopped garlic
1/2 cup dry white wine
7 Tbls fresh ruby-red grapefruit juice, divided
3/4 cup whipping cream

4 6-8oz wild salmon fillets
1 ruby red grapefruit with skin, cut into 1/2 in. thick rounds.
2 Tbls chilled butter
1/8 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce

Heat 1 Tbls oil in a small skillet over med heat. Add shallots and saute until golden. Add anchovey and garlic; saute until soft. Add wine and 6 Tbls grapefruit juice-boil until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 4 min. Add cream , reduce heat and simmer until mixture is reduced to 3/4 cup, about 9 min. Set sauce aside.

Prepare grill(med high heat). Brush salmon and grapefruit rounds w/ 2Tbls oil-sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill salmon about 4 min/side (to desired doneness)and grapefruit until charred in spots. Transfer to plates. Bring sauce to a simmer, whisking often. Whisk in butter by 1/2 Tbls, then worcestershire and hot pepper sauce. Mix in 1 Tbls grapefruit juice. Season with salt and pepper. Serve salmon with sauce and grapefruit rounds.

We enjoyed this with grilled fingerling potatoes and brocollitini sauteed in rosemary and garlic infused olive oil. A friendly Oregon Pinot Noir made the evening perfect.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Wild Salmon w/ Grapefruit Beurre Blanc by Old Bay (This came from a sum...)
Love the combination of flavors - how did Lorraine or I miss that one????? duly copied.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wild Salmon w/ Grapefruit Beurre Blanc by cjs (Love the combination...)
How did I miss that one????? Last night we did a similar dinner - orange roughy with a lemon beurre blanc. It was soooo good - will have to try this though.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Wild Salmon w/ Grapefruit Beurre Blanc by Old Bay (This came from a sum...)
If it ever stops snowing, I'm making this!!!

Thanks so much for posting.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Wild Salmon w/ Grapefruit Beurre Blanc by foodfiend (If it ever stops sno...)
Shoot, I can't remember who brought this dish up (Lori? Vicci? ) but darn, I still haven't made it, but probably a lot of new folks haven't seen it, so I'll bring to the top. Sounds delicious.

Here's what she had to say -

"Salmon with Grapefruit Beurre Blanc! Yay!

Bill (known locally as Old Bay) posted this recipe a few weeks ago and I finally had a chance to try it. The photo (not my best, it was late and we were starving) and my (*ahem*) “lightened” recipe are on my blog.

This was soooooo good! Now, my husband almost always compliments what I cook, but this was one of those recipes that, after saying how good it was several times throughout dinner, at the end he lifted his almost-empty wineglass to me and said “This salmon was incredible. Thank you.” It will be one of our “regulars” for summer dinners.

Aside from being relatively simple, the sauce was just so delicious. There is a tang of grapefruit and wine in there, along with the creaminess of lowfat half & half (replacing the whipping cream) and (a reduced amount of) butter.

Although I did sub a white zinfandel (a hostess gift last summer) for the dry white wine, I wouldn’t hesitate to use it again. I always have a sauvignon blanc on hand, though, and this will most likely be what I use in the future.

Thanks again for posting this, Bill!"

This time around, I shall make this!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wild Salmon w/ Grapefruit Beurre Blanc by cjs (Shoot, I can't remem...)
MMMMMM....Thanks for bringing this to the top Jean! I love salmon and have gotten tired of my current recipes. This sounds delicious....anchovies...YUM!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Wild Salmon w/ Grapefruit Beurre Blanc by Gourmet_Mom (MMMMMM....Thanks for...)
Yumm, this does look good, copied but will have to wait till we come home....teehee, it's almost that time again
La cukaracha la cukaracha la la la la
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Wild Salmon w/ Grapefruit Beurre Blanc by farnfam (Yumm, this does look...)
This was our dinner for last night... Bringing it back up to remind ya'all to try it.
  Re: Re: Wild Salmon w/ Grapefruit Beurre Blanc by HomeCulinarian (This was our dinner ...)
Thanks, I had forgotten about this one. I think this one sounds spectacular! Gotta try it!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Wild Salmon w/ Grapefruit Beurre Blanc by luvnit (Thanks, I had forgot...)
Making a review! This was DELICIOUS!!!! I think the sauce would be good on other seafood as well! I made it right from the recipe and I can't think of a thing I'd change...well except for a few execution changes. I'm lazy and I didn't skin my fish...also had to use farm raised since DH said the store did not have enough wild. Regarding the skin-on fish, my grill is normally set up for indirect heat, so I left the fish skin side down and let it go. When I remove the fish, it lifts right off the skin and is perfectly cooked. The skin cleans right off pretty easily and I burn off any excess there may be. This is a keeper! Thanks Bill!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.