So......Is anyone else making
  Re: (...)
Whiskey Glazed Corned Beef? The corned beef is simmering in the crockpot and I just finished making the sauce to put on it later. Wow, it's definately an eye opener! I think it's going to be quite tasty as a glaze.

I have the cabbage and onion sliced, for the Sweet and Sour Cabbage, and later will cook the parsnips and yukon gold potatoes to complete the whole meal.

As an experiment, I mixed up a light rye bread yesterday, using the 18 hour method, and am hoping for the best.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: So......Is anyone else making by Mare749 (Whiskey Glazed Corne...)
Maryanne, made this yesterday. Of course we had a nor'easter and no one made it over to eat it, but I'll bring it to the boys as soon as the roads are plowed.

I took a taste, it was pretty good if a little too tomato-ey for me. Made the mashed w/parsnips, I liked that. Trad carrots and cabbage steamed w/the brisket broth. Made 2 kinds of soda bread for my carbo freak kids, CI's authentic and some other one I found online(w/eggs and sour cream, my late, Irish MIL is probably turning in her grave).Jury's still out on that.

Your 18hr Rye sounds good, let us know how it turns out!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: So......Is anyone else making by pjcooks (Maryanne, made this ...)
Dinner turned out well. Ron said it was fantastic, high praise considering he was skeptical about the whole meal. We both liked the corned beef with the whiskey glaze and the mash was just delicious. The cole slaw was okay and had a nice heat to it, but it just wasn't sweet enough for me. I love the way the southern Ohio Amish people make coleslaw, nice and sweet. But Ron thought it was good that it was less sweet because of the sweet glaze on the meat. He's probably right.

Oh, and the bread turned out well, but it is a bit dense. Doesn't have those nice big holes like the original recipe. Reminds me a lot of old style German bakery bread. Good taste and nice and moist, just kind of heavy. I guess nothing beats the original 18 hrs. bread recipe!

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: So......Is anyone else making by Mare749 (Dinner turned out we...)
Thanks for the info about the coleslaw. I'm making this tomorrow, will adjust accordingly, as I like it sweeter, too.

Gotta try the 18 hr bread. One of these days I will buy a cast iron dutch oven, until then, will a Pyrex take the heat?

Glad your meal turned out well!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: So......Is anyone else making by pjcooks (Thanks for the info ...)
PJ, I have made the 18 hour bread in several different containers already, always with good results. I think the thing about the dutch oven with a lid is that it holds so much heat and that contributes to that great crust.

However, this dough is so easy to work with that it can be turned out of the bowl and directly into a regular loaf pan. The trick is not to mess with it any more than you have to. To date, I have used cast iron, cast iron with enamel, a 1 1/2 qt. corningware dish, a pyrex loaf pan, a pizza stone, and my latest purchase, a two sided perforated french bread pan. I have used all purpose flour, bread flour, artisan flour, organic whole wheat, organic rye, fruit and nuts, all with good results.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: So......Is anyone else making by Mare749 (PJ, I have made the ...)
Thanks! I've been holding off because I didn't have the right pan. I have the perforated french that you just bought, but I never thought of using it for this-for some reason I had Dutch Oven stuck in my head.

I hope you don't mind if I pass your info along, it's quite helpful!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: So......Is anyone else making by Mare749 (PJ, I have made the ...)
"So......Is anyone else making " - oh my, the trailer smelled soooooo good yesterday with that little brisket cooking away - I didn't use the recipe you used, Mare, but it was as good as it smelled all afternoon!

And this morning's brunch will be Corned Beef Sandwiches with some of the German Cheese we found....I guess it was here in Pasco. And a little bubbly.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: So......Is anyone else making by cjs ("So......Is anyone e...)
Jean, you and your hubbie sure eat good while you're traveling! Brunch sounds yummy too. The rye bread that I made yesterday actually tastes better today for some reason. I think it will make some tasty sandwiches today. Wish I had some bubbly to go with!

PJ, have fun making bread. You can always cut the recipe in half while you are experimenting, that's what I did.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: So......Is anyone else making by Mare749 (Jean, you and your h...)
We used to find a small dense heavy rye bread here, which, alas, has not been available for years. I was so good. Well, I know what I have to do now.
  Re: Re: So......Is anyone else making by Mare749 (Jean, you and your h...)
I've never attempted Rye bread. Don't even think I have a recipe for it. I did BUY some at the store yesterday and enjoyed some grilled reuben sandwiches for lunch (with the leftover corned beef). Yum!
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"