Sandwiches.
  Re: (...)
Lori, I have read the appy, and sandwich threads. There is no doubt we call things different names in NZ. Club sandwiches are fresh thin bread outer slices buttered one side, inner buttered both sides. Three slices is usual, but four is very acceptable. Can be combos of anything, egg, salad stuff, smoked snapper in a panada, creamed corn or fritters. Any meats, some veg, dairy, cut either into fingers, usually 3 fingers per sandwich, or trianges, all crusted and hangy outy bits gone. I don't circles for them, too much waste. Ideal for afternoon teas, with cups cakes. What you call club we call toasted, we also make what we call quixies, the English call bean pies, It is the thing that seals the sandwich and cooks it. I have a 4 cavity commerial one. They may be called jaffell? irons. I love sandwiches, I think we all do. You have a wonderful web site, I love it. Have you though of seasoned cottage cheese and spiced beetroot, or lightly crushed banana (so it still has shape) and a good sharp cheddar sandwich, they sound weird but are really good.
we had salad Pitas for lunch, just so good.
  Re: Sandwiches. by vannin (Lori, I have read th...)
Oh my Dale, four slices of buttered bread on a sandwich sounds incredible. Don't think I've ever had one, but know I would love it. Your post got me thinking it's time to try some new combinations. I'll have to spend more time looking at Vicci's website!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Hey There,
Interesting sandwich notes for NZ. I had no idea things were so different! Cottage cheese and beetroot, yes that sounds odd. Not sure about the crushed banana, although my 6 year old would enjoy that one. I actually made him a banana, PB and marshmallow sandwich for lunch today. Elvis liked those!
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"
  Re: Re: Sandwiches. by SDRecipeGirl (Hey There,[br]Intere...)
When I was down in NZ Dale and Shane informed me that you don't make sandwiches without first buttering the bread. THEN you put your mayo or whatever on it. I've been doing it ever since.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Sandwiches. by bjcotton (When I was down in N...)
That's funny. I had a daycare person when I was little that used to butter our PB&J or bologna sandwiches. I would never eat them because I just thought it tasted icky. Now I only butter if I'm grilling them. Guess I just can't shake that memory. Of course, I could do without the calories too. The babysitter was German so perhaps they do it there too.
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"
Always happy to hear about different sandwiches! Coming up w/a new sandwich for the panini everyday can sometimes be a pain.

Thanks, love your post.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Sandwiches. by pjcooks (Always happy to hear...)
I once worked in a hospital on the shores of Sydney Harbour where the patients were given food to die for. The staff were given the same for free. Lunch(eon) was the main meal and at dinner was soup, salad, and (our) club sandwiches. The variety of soups was endless, and very well made, the favs. were tomato and mushroom. All superb. The sands, usually had a protein, meats or devilled eggs, or fish, and the other 3 fillings was in the lap of Beryl the Magnificient Cook, but no filling was repeated in the salad.
  Re: Re: Sandwiches. by vannin (I once worked in a h...)
Now I need to know how (was it PJ) made so many sands, millions, and kept them fresh, because I remember her saying she had 700 to go. Must be more than a days work unless there are many hands on deck. I can get 21 3 slice clubs out of one loaf of commercial white bread. Cut into three finger sandwiches. Were your sands. toasted? or sinful purchased bread? How did you do it, how many people were making, for how many people? I have never tackled for more than 50 people, and that allowing 3 fingers each, ie. 3 slices of bread, pp.
  Re: Re: Sandwiches. by vannin (Now I need to know h...)
Yup, that was me. We had the Teachers Conference, 3200 box lunches. We have a local commercial bakery supply our bread. Our 700 wraps (flour tortillas)are a frozen product. Defrost and fill w/veggies- that took a long time, then wrap individually. 4 of us were making sandwiches, a fifth was the runner, keeping us supplied with produce, sliced meat and cheese. Trays into a Crescore, whisked into a walk-in, later pulled and wrapped individually. Lettuce, tomato, meat and cheese, or veggie w/hummus wraps were the choices. Actually, we ended up doing about 200 chef salads, so there were only 3000 sandwiches. .We have 3 large walkins, a large freezer, and a ballroom to assemble the boxes, so space wasn't an issue. (I put 3200 pcs of fruit and 6400 cookies in bags, please don't mention apples)

So, the 5 of us got them out fresh and neat. Once we got started, there was no taking a break-

And that's how we got it done!

PJ

Edited to add:
The day before, the catering students set up the bags w/the usual supplies, utensils, s&p.etc. It took 11 hrs on Thursday, than 4 hrs on Fri to make, wrap and pack sandwiches for delivery.

Whoosh, better to look back on it than to have to look ahead to it!
Edited once again to add, we had a great team!
PJ
  Re: Re: Sandwiches. by pjcooks (Yup, that was me. W...)
Apples. applesapplesapplesapplesapplesapplesapplesapplesapplesapples