Sprouts!
  Re: (...)
Well, I've got two jars of alfalfa sprouts going. My kids are so excited, both saying the same thing, that they hadn't had them in a while. Don't know why I ever stopped growing them. So good on sandwiches and in salads.

Anyway, Jean suggested radish sprouts, but so far I'm not finding the seeds. I got the alfalfa seeds at the local health food store, but they didn't have radish sprouts. Is this something you have to order online, or does anyone know where I can buy them? Thanks.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Sprouts! by Mare749 (Well, I've got two j...)
Didn't the shop where you got the other seeds offer to order for you? I got mine at Health food stores. I'm sure you could get them online, but what a hassle...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sprouts! by cjs (Didn't the shop wher...)
I bought my radish seeds at Home Depot, Lowes or Walmart. They were very well stocked with all the veggies.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Sprouts! by Half_Baked (I bought my radish s...)
Thanks Jan, since I'm not much of a gardener, that never entered my mind, but I'll check it out. I probably wouldn't get the quantity though like I did with alfalfa seeds. I bought a small plastic tub with enough seeds in it to last for a year.

Jean, I was thinking the same thing after I left American Harvest the other day. The young lady that took out the alfalfa seeds never even offered to order radish seeds for me. We have Hobart's all over the place here, maybe I'll call them.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Sprouts! by Half_Baked (I bought my radish s...)
Yikes! Alert!!!
Many commercially-sold seeds in packets are treated with fungicide or other nasty things (this is done so the seeds are able to sit in damp ground but not rot as they wait to turn into little plants).

If you're going to sprout the seeds, you should use the organic ones at the very least, or those labelled "for sprouts".

http://www.greenharvest.com.au/seeds/spr...seeds.html

I love radish sprouts-- they have a great pepper-flavor. These are my favorites for sandwiches, and I can't wait for "sprout season".
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Sprouts! by foodfiend (Yikes! Alert!!![br]...)
Thanks for the info, Vicci!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Sprouts! by foodfiend (Yikes! Alert!!![br]...)
Thanks Vicci, I wouldn't have known that either. I hate to sound dim, but what did you mean about sprouting season?
I'm growing mine in wide mouth mason jars in my kitchen. How do you do it? Thanks.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Sprouts! by Mare749 (Thanks Vicci, I woul...)
Don't forget to grow wheat sprouts, they are very tasty. And you can grow wheat grass too, just a shallow container of soil and cut when you want to eat them. Like chives in growing but a lovely nutish green flavour.
  Re: Re: Sprouts! by Mare749 (Thanks Vicci, I woul...)
Maryann, no need to worry about "dimness". It's my own bit of weird, I'm afraid. I try to eat seasonally and, even though you can "grow" sprouts all year long, I save them for spring and summer to add to salads and sandwiches. One of my little culinary quirks! I also use mason jars, and poke little drainage/air holes into the lids with a small nail.

Vannin- I grow wheat grass for my cat during the winter and never thought that I could use it for me (in a separate pot, of course...). Thanks for the tip.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Sprouts! by foodfiend (Maryann, no need to ...)
Ohhhh! I get it! And actually, I agree with you Vicci. I try to eat in season as well. I think I've just gotten a bit ahead of myself this year. Winter just seems very long this year, probably because I've been laid off from my job and not used to having so much free time. Although, I don't know where it's all going because I'm constantly busy. But then, I always did love being at home. Don't know how I'm ever going to go back to work!

Maryann
Maryann