Reuben Hush Puppies review
  Re: (...)
Well, I guess I must have been over-enthused about this one because it was a disappointment for me. I love all the ingredients and certainly love anything deep fried, so I figured it was a no-brainer. Not so, because I've never actually made and cooked hush puppies before and if I had.....well, I'm sure they would have been way better.

My batter was too soupy. I should have used less milk or dried bread crumbs, not fresh like I did. My first batch came out okay and tasted very good, but after that, it was all downhill. The hush puppies kept falling apart in the fryer and we had a huge mess to clean up.

I really would like to try this recipe again some time as I'm sure it would be really good. But next time, I'm going to make sure that I have a much firmer batter and may even bake them in the oven instead of frying. The recipe was fine, it was the cook!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Reuben Hush Puppies review by Mare749 (Well, I guess I must...)
Hmmm, Maryann, after reading your review and me not having made them yet, I look into a couple other hush puppy recipes to compare. The other three I looked at all asked for more cornmeal than flour.

I think I'll reverse the cornmeal/flour qty tonite when I make them. And bake a few or rather deep fry a few and bake the rest - I'm trying to be good. Another recipe I looked at also had jalapenos and cheddar.....

I apologize, I know I'm the one that is such a stickler for following the recipe, the first time, as written to give respect, but I don't know about this one...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Reuben Hush Puppies review by cjs (Hmmm, Maryann, after...)
I made these and loved them! I used a marble rye for the bread crumbs, favoring the dark. I also didn't pay attention to the quantity of the crumbs, just added in 'til it felt right.

The only downside in this recipe is the deep frying. I used new peanut oil, but I don't eat many fried foods anymore (as most of you) and I think the deep fry was a distraction from the combo of all those great flavors. I also think that 375 degrees was too hot, if I deep fry again, I'll lower the temp to 350, my fryer perhaps? I think these would be great if oven fried, I'm going to try them again.

By the way, the heat develops very nicely after 3-4 days. It's perfect to me now, but if you like spicier, you may want to perk it up.

'Course, that's just me.

Yikes, are we reviewing the recipe before the review? On the other hand, it's nice to have some info before we waste those precious ingredients!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Reuben Hush Puppies review by pjcooks ( I made these and lo...)
PJ, I'm glad yours turned out well. I think I just messed up and should have made a firmer batter.

I'm anxious to hear how the baked hush puppies turn out, Jean, since I'd rather bake them next time. It really is a good recipe. And adding jalapeno and cheddar sounds great! Let us know. Oh, and thanks for the tip about the cornmeal. Makes perfect sense, I'll try that.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Reuben Hush Puppies review by Mare749 (PJ, I'm glad yours t...)
I had fun last nite!! I deep fried six and baked (or oven fried) six - I liked them both, but what's not to like about deep fried. But, Roy preferred the oven baked - which was a good thing. Like PJ said, we all are trying to stay away from the fried...

Revised Hushpuppies recipe -

1/2 cup cornmmeal
1/2 cup a.p. flour
1/2 T. bakng powder
1/2 tsp. sugar
salt
big pinch cayenne
2 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. baking soda
---
1 egg
3 oz. milk
2 T. vegetable oil
2 T. saurkraut, chopped
~3 T. roasted kernal corn
----
small chunk of swiss (I had gruyere)
Mixed dry ingredients; mix wet ingredients and combined just till moistened.

Sprayed miniature muffin pans and put a dollop of batter in muffin pan; lay a cube of cheese and top with another dollop of batter sealing the edges.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/cjd...uppies.jpg

Baked at 425 for 15 minutes.

For the deep fried, the batter is pretty loose, so I used a rubber glove and put a dollop of batter in the palm of my hand; added the cube of cheese and another dollop on top and used the spoon to 'seal' the 'puppy'. Used a small off-set spatula to help slide off my hand into the oil - set at 350-360 - and fried till done.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/cjd...iesone.jpg

I served with the Gilroy Garlic Sweet mustard we picked up a couple weeks ago and of course, if it's fried I have to have Asian Sweet Chili sauce...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/cjd...iestwo.jpg

And I'm so pleased we liked the oven-baked also - will do this one again, but I'll play with it - like the idea of cheddar and jalapenoes.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Reuben Hush Puppies review by cjs (I had fun last nite!...)
I was also wondering whether the bread crumbs should be fresh or toasted. I went with toasted. The recipe said to be sure to cover the Swiss cheese, and I must have gone overboard because I wound up with only 16, not 24. Figuring they were probably larger than they should be, I lowered the cooking temp from the recommended 350 to 330 and cooked a minute longer so they would get done in the middle without getting burned on the outside. I'm not a fan of deep frying either, so I might try baking next year too. I scooped batter with a portion scoop, shoved the cheese in, and then covered with more batter. Then I removed, hand-rolled and put in the refer to firm up. If your batter was too loose, did you remember to put in the refer the prescribed 15 minutes? I did mine after the cheese was inserted and left in the refer for 30+ minutes - almost no mess in the oil.
  Re: Re: Reuben Hush Puppies review by Ron (I was also wondering...)
I left mine in the fridge all day. Maybe that's why I didn't have a problem w/looseness??? Will bake these next time, Thanks for that info, Jean!

I went w/fresh breadcrumbs, thinking the cornmeal and fresh would kind of balance each other. But I think the toasted would definately add another layer of flavor.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Reuben Hush Puppies review by pjcooks (I left mine in the f...)
My goodness Jean, my hush puppies sure didn't look as nice as yours do. Very nicely done! And thank you for revising the recipe for me because I will do these again, but will probably bake them.

Ron and PJ, I think you are both right about the batter because the first batch that I fried turned out okay and the batter was still cold. So, I think that with Jean's revision and some frig time, my next batch should be more successful.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Reuben Hush Puppies review by Mare749 (My goodness Jean, my...)
You know, I've looked at the C@H hushpuppies recipe about ten times now, and I still don't see where you all got this "panko" thing??? What did I miss? (not that it's important in the scheme of things, but can't help wondering... )
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Reuben Hush Puppies review by cjs (You know, I've looke...)
I don't know, Jean. I didn't use panko for this recipe. We did use it for another recipe a few weeks ago, but since I seem to have a grand case of CRS, it's eluding me at the moment.

Maryann
Maryann