Dinner Review for April 9th?
  Re: (...)
this would give us two full weeks and shouldn't interfere with Easter...

what shall we cook? what shall we cook? How about one of the newer oldies doing the choosing? Lori? Vicci?

don't remember if either of you has done a dinner with us, but we choose from any Cuisine at Home mag. for a dinner that we all try during the time frame (now and Apr 9th) and then it is reviewed on the chosen date....unless you're Billy, then you sneak one in every once in a while. And don't worry if someone(s) doesn't care for the choice, maybe they'll like the next one..

Time to choose!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dinner Review for April 9th? by cjs (this would give us t...)
Sounds good to me, I'm in!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Dinner Review for April 9th? by Mare749 (Sounds good to me, I...)
My life is so topsy turvey [what in the heck is a turvey anyway?] right now I'll participate if I can and if I can't I won't
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Here's a suggestion but now that I'm at home and not going to school I'm came for anything! Woot

It's a more casual menu.

Seared Flank Steak w/Shallot-Mustard Sauce
Oven Fries with Lemon-Fennel Salt
Green Salad with Feta and Fresh Fruit

Now I can only hope for good weather so we can enjoy this dinner outside with a nice bottle of wine.

1 flank steak, about 1-1/2 lb.
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbs. corn oil
6 Tbs. cold unsalted butter (4 Tbs. cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
3 Tbs. finely minced shallot
3 medium cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup dry red wine
3/4 cup low-salt beef broth
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 Tbs. chopped fresh tarragon

Set a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 400°F. Season the steak generously with salt and pepper. Heat an ovenproof 12-inch sauté pan over high heat until very hot. Add the oil to coat the pan and sear the steak on one side until well browned, about 1-1/2 minutes. Flip with tongs and cook until the second side is well browned, about another 2 minutes. Put the pan in the oven and roast until the steak is cooked to your liking, 5 to 7 minutes for medium rare. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest, lightly covered with foil, while you make the sauce.
Set the same skillet over medium heat and add 2 Tbs. of the butter. When the butter melts, add the shallot and garlic and cook until soft and translucent but not browned, about 2 minutes. Add the wine, increase the heat to medium high, and boil until syrupy, 2 to 4 minutes. Add the broth and thyme and boil until about 1/3 cup of liquid remains, 6 to 8 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and whisk in the mustard. (Don’t let the sauce boil after the mustard is added.) Stir in the 4 Tbs. butter cubes, a few at a time. Stir in half the tarragon and season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
With a sharp knife, slice the steak thinly across the grain on the diagonal, drizzle with the sauce, and sprinkle with remaining tarragon.

Oven Fries

2 lg russet potatoes about 1 3/4 pounds peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/4 -1/2” sticks.
2 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Lemon-Fennel Salt

Put the sliced potatoes in cold water to rinse off starch. Remove potatoes after about a minute and drain. Dump water and refill with enough to cover the potatoes by 1 1/2 inches and add some kosher salt. Put a baking sheet in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 450. Bring to a boil over high heat. As soon as it comes to a boil turn the heat down so they simmer for about 3 minutes. Gently drain and place on paper towels to dry. Place in a bowl and gently toss with the olive oil. Remove pan from oven and arrange the potatoes quickly on the sheet pan leaving about 1/2 inch between slices. Roast for about 15 minutes, turn fries over and roast again for about 6-8 minutes and turn again till nicely brown. Total cook time is about 30 minutes. Finish with Lemon Fennel Salt.

Lemon Fennel Salt –

1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1/4 heaping tsp. white peppercorns
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp kosher salt

Toast fennel, coriander and peppercorns in a small dry skillet over med. heat until fragrant, about 2 mins. Pour into a mortar or spice grinder and grind till a fine powder. In a small dish combine the lemon zest and salt with the spices.

Green Salad
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pinch white sugar
1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 avocados - peeled, pitted, and cubed
4 cups mixed salad greens
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, white wine vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, sugar, parsley, lemon juice and garlic. Add the avocado, and stir to coat with the dressing.
2. Just before serving, add the salad greens, and toss to coat with dressing. Sprinkle sliced almonds and feta cheese over the top.
You can add sliced pears or tangerines supremes.
  Re: Re: Dinner Review for April 9th? by DFen911 (Here's a suggestion ...)
Denise, I'm sorry - I forgot you've been so busy you haven't had a chance to get in this with us!! I vote we go for this in it's entirity (how do you spell that??? )'entirety'

I've printed it up! Good choice, spring is coming (somewhere...)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner Review for April 9th? by cjs (Denise, I'm sorry - ...)
This sounds like my kinda thing. Can we do a dessert too, and do all of the recipes have to be from the mag?
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"
  Re: Re: Dinner Review for April 9th? by DFen911 (Here's a suggestion ...)
Got my vote! I'm in!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Dinner Review for April 9th? by pjcooks (Got my vote! I'm in...)
Sounds like it's right up our alley! I'm in!
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
I'll have to sit this one out, I'll be away.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Dinner Review for April 9th? by SDRecipeGirl (This sounds like my ...)
It's not written in stone, Lori, using the C@H magazine as a perimeter kind of keeps us in check.

Desserts are usually catch-as-catch-can, but if you have a good one, toss it out and I'll bet one or two of us will jump on it....
www.achefsjourney.com