Almond Joy Cupcake review
  Re: (...)
Wow, this is a winner!!! Baked this for my son-in-law's birthday. My daughter said he doesn't really care for cakes that much, especially the store bought kind. She was browsing through my C@H last week (yes!!!) and asked me if I would make this for his birthday. (She's got her hands full at the moment or she wouldn't have asked.)

This cake is very light and delicate so it falls apart easily. Had a little trouble getting them out of the cupcake tins, so they don't look the best, but once iced, I don't think it will matter. The frosting is chilling right now to firm it up and I'm hoping to pipe it on the cakes so they look pretty like the ones in the magazine.

The only change I will make next time is to bake the batter either in a springform pan or an angel food cake pan. I think it will help with the crumbling. Ron and I really enjoyed picking at those this morning though! This is one tasty cake.

I just realized I must sound like a "chronic crumbler" first the hush puppies, now the cupcakes!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Almond Joy Cupcake review by Mare749 (Wow, this is a winne...)
"chronic crumbler" - I don't think so, more like a discerniing palate making all of us cognizant of the conclusion of a culinary trial.....impressed?

How funny you would mention these today, I'm getting into the stack of cooking mags I came home to and did that ever look good to me too!! I haven't made a dessert since Valentine's day, so that one may be the one - easter????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Almond Joy Cupcake review by cjs ("chronic crumbler" -...)
Wow, I love that Jean! Must commit that to memory! I may need to use it sometime.
"A discerning palate" yup, that's me alright.

I was thinking that the coconut cake would be nice for Easter too. I think it's sweet enough that it doesn't need the chocolate frosting and that the fruit drizzle would be enough. I'll still have to make bunny cake for the grandkiddies though. My mom always did.

Maryann
Maryann

Maryann, I had the same experience.

Posted this last week, so I'm moving it over here.

I made these today, in Texas muffin pans. Took them out when the pick was clean, let them rest 3 min then turned them out onto a rack. I let them cool completly before frosting. They are sooo good, but they're so tender, so delicate, you really need to handle them very carefully. Since the same thing happens every single time I make CI's white cake, I wonder what it is I'm doing wrong. The good thing is, they melt in your mouth, moist and extremely light and fluffy.

So, no complaints, really, has anyone else had this experience?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Almond Joy Cupcake review by pjcooks (Maryann, I had the...)
PJ, I didn't see your other post - I may have not made note of it, 'cause I wasn't home and hadn't seen the magazine yet. These cupcakes sure do look/sound good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Almond Joy Cupcake review by cjs (PJ, I didn't see you...)
PJ, I do remember your cupcake review, and apologize for not bringing it back up to the top. Wasn't thinking at the time, it's better to keep all threads together.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Almond Joy Cupcake review by Mare749 (PJ, I do remember yo...)
That's okay, I didn't think y'all were ignoring me

PJ
PJ
For those of you who have made these can you use something other than a popover pan? What is ground coconut and where do you find it? Also another other suggestions on making these?

Thanks
  Re: Re: Almond Joy Cupcake review by Emmasmum (For those of you who...)
I make them in the jumbo muffin pan and use the jumbo size foil cupcake liners. The liners are stiff enough that you really do not need to put them in a muffin pan, but I always do for this exact reason -- support -- and haven't had any problems when made this way. Hope this helps?
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Almond Joy Cupcake review by Emmasmum (For those of you who...)
I just whirled it up (the coconut) in my food processor. It worked out just fine. If you don't have one, you might even be able to skip that step, although it may change the texture a bit.

Maryann
Maryann